UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss should I bother paying for NVQ2? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

K

kingnewport

Hi all,

I lost my job befor christmas and because of that the welsh assemberly has kindly give me £1500 towards retraining. Ive done tiling befor but never got any NVQ's etc. The question is should I pay £1000 towards getting an NVQ 2 in tiling?
Ive read on here thats not a very good course. I could be wrong. This is the company I was would be going too: Access Training Wales

Sorry if this has been done to death, cheers all

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Customers don't tend to ask to see an NVQ, but having one can help a guy new into the trade if he mentions it all the time - sort of thing.
From a training point of view it doesn't give you more, it clearly just shows you can do it. It's when you get out there and gain experience you really start to learn.

I'd spend what they give you on courses without the NVQ. And if it is that down the line you want to further yourself, do your NVQ then.

Also checkout a couple of different training centres before booking with any one. Going the closest one isn't always the best option for you.

T

Time's Ran Out

How much training are you going to get for £1500 - 1 week, 6 weeks.......and what will you get at the end - workwise! Will they provide you with the contacts, a business plan, web page, advertising and tools.
How can they ask you to retrain when there is limited investment in the building industry, read through this forum and see how many tilers are looking for work, ask local tile suppliers if they will supply the contacts for jobs after your short course.
Do your homework on tiling as a career choice and see if the present economic climate makes this a favourable decision.
The money is free - take it and get the basics for what is the best job around - but don't be hoodwinked into believing everyone is lining up for you to tile their kitchen splashback.
My son and I got our NVQ 's a couple of years ago and they were free - something about me being a grandfather and him doing all the work:smilewinkgrin:

M

Mike

i had a similar amount for retraining from the welsh office too, albeit a few years back now but i had a job to get it. i had to prove i was going self employed by showing a business plan and receipts for tools etc. i had a 2 week course which pretty much took up all the money. i later got my nvq but at the time there was funding for that too. i don't think the training company can offer you a course with the nvq at the end of it, they can only train you with a view to you getting your nvq whilst working for someone or whilst being self employed. i've had cscs card a few years now and untill a couple of months ago only used it for scraping the ice off the van windscreen. would i go for it again? if it was free , yes. good luck with whatever route you take :thumbsup:

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to should I bother paying for NVQ2? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

TilersForums.com has been online since 2006 and we've had many designs, even three forum...
Replies
Views
Hi, I recently purchased my first property and the existing kitchen floor porcelain tiles were...
Replies
Views
A
Hello All, I posted back in September and you were all very helpful with your advice on what to...
Replies
Views
Dumbo
D
C
Hi all Hoping for some opinions on how to handle an ongoing issue in having with my tiler He...
Replies
Views
ok so im on a job with 3 bathrooms to go at. Ive got 2 of them prepped with deltaboard...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.