UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss should i price high in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
I'd treat it like a normal job. Price for what needs to be done and clearly state what's required materials and labour-wise. Face it, you could do this for a week or two small jobs in the week that are easy, either way, as long as you get your weekly wage, it's really just another job.

If it is too big for you to take on, then tell them to get it to the stage where you can take over.

I agree with Darren, if you priced this too high to not get it, you'll not get any work from that customer again. Say to them it's just in too much of a state for you, a tiler, to take on, get it to a stage where it can be tiled and keep the customer and the job.

A fact: A customer who's had a bad experience will tell 10 others, a customer who's had a good experience will only ever tell 1.

I'd also find out where that customer has had you from, if it's word of mouth or something, then keep the customer, you'll become their tiler for life. If they've found you through some random way, then maybe you can afford to loose them.

L

Leatherface

Hi

Have a good think about the job and what is necessary to to it properly...
Is there an option for over-boarding or plastering to make good the walls.
Take into account how long the job will take you and how much you expect to earn for your time after materials.
Put you quote in writing explaining what needs to be done.

If you are short of work then you may need the job. Otherwise if you are not bothered, it really doesn't matter.
Price accordingly. In either case do not price the job so that you loose out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
The thing is, if you think you need to not do the job, it's clearly something that you don't fancy doing, but imagine a firm that can do everything quoting for it, they wouldn't even consider loosing the job, they'd just start naming materials and labour hours etc etc etc. On the other end of the scale, Uncle Bobs tile cleaning services would over-price a job where they were asked to just even replace a tile, if it's something he fears doing. So it's just down to what you're prepared to do, and for what money.

That job sounds like a money maker to me though, win win too, you could do the whole thing, down lighters that are motion sensitive, walk-in shower area with a nice glass panel you walk around, some really nice marble tiles wall and floors, new loo etc etc, and as you'd be doing the whole job, you'd find it's really easy to plan it all in. you'd be able to price right, get good gear, make the customer happy, and actually, have an easy job tiling it all than you would an shitty old wall.

Just rip it all out, re-board it all, tile, new ware.

L

Leatherface

The thing is, if you think you need to not do the job, it's clearly something that you don't fancy doing, but imagine a firm that can do everything quoting for it, they wouldn't even consider loosing the job, they'd just start naming materials and labour hours etc etc etc. On the other end of the scale, Uncle Bobs tile cleaning services would over-price a job where they were asked to just even replace a tile, if it's something he fears doing. So it's just down to what you're prepared to do, and for what money.

That job sounds like a money maker to me though, win win too, you could do the whole thing, down lighters that are motion sensitive, walk-in shower area with a nice glass panel you walk around, some really nice marble tiles wall and floors, new loo etc etc, and as you'd be doing the whole job, you'd find it's really easy to plan it all in. you'd be able to price right, get good gear, make the customer happy, and actually, have an easy job tiling it all than you would an shitty old wall.

Just rip it all out, re-board it all, tile, new ware.

Yes, and you could install one of those fancy Japanese toilets that washes and wipes your bum & also a plasma TV above the bath & one in the shower. Also a Jacuzzi that is hidden underneath the floor, that rises up when you press a secret button. Also a fish tank in the wall. And a beer fridge. Also a forty foot water slide. A wave machine in the bath .......

Hope that's enough ideas for you :wink_smile: :wink_smile: :wink_smile:

L

L & R CERAMICS

If you really dont want the job, just tell them that you are starting a huge contract job shortly and you dont think your going to have the time to sqeeze their job in, its better than giving out ridiculous high prices so you dont get the job, it will just get you a bad reputation of being too expensive
theres no point lying to the customer ,be straight tell them the problem and yes still give a price for what you think the work is worth at least they should understand what you are talking about .
even if you dont get the job you know some other desperate mug has gone in cheaper

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to should i price high in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, after watching so many instructional videos and planing, I just can't understand how to...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Tiling kitchen splashback, but I've messed up the layout. Should I rip out the tiles on the...
Replies
Views
I'm having my kitchen renovated and the tiler came last week and did the floor tiles. They're...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.