UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Shower Floor Revamp in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

gb3

Hi there,

My first post on here :)

Let me start by saying I'm not a professional tradesman of any kind but a mere keen DIYer.

I moved into a new place a couple of years ago. The bathroom was a stated and needed gutting / re plastering / tiling etc etc. A local plumbing company did the work for us.

As you should be able to see from the pictures we had a walk in shower constructed.

Recently however I noticed the grout in the shower floor area was breaking up. I believe - correct me if im wrong - this is due to a cement based grout rather than a more suitable epoxy grout being used?

I was originally going to just regrout the existing tiles in the shower area with kerapoxy, however I thought to myself this might be an ideal time for a little revamp.

So my question is:

Can I take up the porcelin tiles just in the shower area ( just the ones with the diagonal cuts, which i think are ugly as hell) and replace them with a blue mosaic which matches the mosiac running down the wall. I think it'll look pretty cool ( but thats just me). I was hoping aswell that using a mosaic I would avoid making diagonal cuts to match the sloping of the blue tray underneath. (The existing tiles are tile directly onto a sloped underfloor tray).

If I can do the above...is there an epoxy grout anyone can recommend for use with ceramic mosiac.

Cheers, any tips / advice appreciated. :)

photo.JPG photo (1).JPG

G

Gazzer

I would say the tiling was done all wrong in the 1st place. The grout should have been fine and there is no real need for Epoxy....but it can be used.
The setting out on the floor is worse than poor and that is what makes it all look worse.

The grout has cracked for a reason, what was the sub floor ?
Your idea of a mosaic floor is viable but you will need to prepare the sub floor in such a way that this is possible.
We need more info but its a reasonably easy job to do.

Ok so I see its a preformer shower base so it should just be a case of removing the tiles and replacing with mosaic.....The only problem will be the thickness of the mosaic against the floor tile.

Last edited by a moderator:
G

gb3

Yeah, I had my doubts about the tiling - I guess you get what you pay for.

The bathroom is on the first floor directly above the kitchen. I believe the bathroom floor is a wooden type board on beams (I think). I think the tiler, cut out the wooden board in the shower area and slotted in the plastic tray in so it was flush with the board. He then tiled directly onto the tray and board. I do remember him phoning up the tray company for advice and they told him you could tile directly onto the tray without a problem (apparently).

I try and find out a bit more info.

Cheers.

A

akinsontiles

Impey trays are awkward in so much that the only thing I know that stick sto them properly is their own products. Its a bitumin based sheeting which is applied to the walls and floor after a primer and then a flexible adhesive to apply the tiles to.

If this hasn't been done then Mapei may suggest their epoxy adhesive as suitable but I'm not 100% on this and would suggest speaking to their technical department for advice.

Mosaic in the tray should look good and would reduce the need to have the diagonal cuts however you still must make sure that the mosaics are fully bedded to get the water to flow into the drain correctly.

A

akinsontiles

If they are loose then they may just need levering up with a small chisel. Other than that werar gloves and goggles and try to chip away at the tile with a hammer working from the centre toward the edge. The impact of the hammer will cause the tile to disintegrate and you can then remove it in small sections. Be warned - you need to control the level of impact you use just enough to damage the tile but not to go through the tray. I suggest building up the strength of the hits you do from light up to one that causes the required destruction but not over doing it.

Keep the doors shut so that shards of tile don't fly off too far and beware for sharp edges on the tiles. PPE is a must!! Good luck

Reply to Shower Floor Revamp in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views
Hi, Just wondering what the general consensus is with grout for a shower. I have epoxy grouted...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.