Discuss Shower problem in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

dscoll

Hi guys
Here's my problem.
The grouting in the tiled wall of my shower cracked , the water got in and eventually came through my kitchen ceiling. When the builder, removed the tiles they came off the wall very easilly, the wall was virtually clean, all the adhesive was stuck to the tiles. I can't find an exact match for the tile 13" square. I think the gypsum render may have been over polished but im not sure, im going to try a wire brush to see if this helps adhesion.
Problem 1:
The tiles also came slightly away from the ajoining wall outside the shower, the builder says he will simply pour some pva down the back of the tiles and push them back on. Is this the best solution? Would a slurry mix be better or is there a better idea?
Problem 2:
The old tiles are 8mm floor tiles (I know they shoudn't be on the wall but its too late now) and the adhesive is 10mm. Thats 18mm total, which looks suspiciously high. I want to use better gripping adhesive so im looking at nicobond glass tile flexible adhesive ,hopefully it won't crack. Problem is the max recomended thickness is 12mm and the new wall tiles are 5mm. That means i would need 13mm of adhesive, so is it ok to exceed the 12mm max limit by 1mm or would it be better to put on a tile backing board or is there a 3rd way.
Im no expert so feel free to dispute my analysis.
Thanks in advance.
DS

D

dscoll

All
The builder says he's successfully done the pva trick before but I suspected professional tilers wouldn't be happy with it. My problem is the whole bathroom is done in the same 330mm square floor tiles (floor and half way up the walls, all the way up the shower walls ) which I cannot find replacements for, that's why I cannot remove the loose tiles. The ones I have taken off from the shower have the waterproof adhesive stuck like glue to their backs which I cannot get off so I can't reuse these tiles, several were chipped when he removed them. I could try and remove it with a bolster but it's rock hard and id probably chip most of the tiles. I stuck 3 tiles in water for 2 weeks to try to soften the adhesive but no luck.
The loose tiles outside the shower have come away from the wall slightly (2-3mm). The whole sheet is intact and the grout is unbroken. This area does not need to be waterproof so (reluctantly) I would except some method of just sticking them back down by carefully opening the gap and pouring down some type of adhesive. I know this is not ideal and im open to better ideas.
Regards
DS

kilty55

TF
Arms
edinburgh
i have a better idea,rip it off the wall and start again

,the pva trick from the builder is not a trick its a complete and utter yahoo merchants bodge job

also pouring something down the back of it adhesive wise is exactly the same im afraid and i wouldnt advise it

if you have had water damage in your bathroom i would suggest contacting your insurance and trying to get some compensation or id that fails re tiling that area your talking about from scratch,there are many offers on tiles out there at the moment if you hunt about

Last edited:

Reply to Shower problem in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, We're currently adding an en-suite to a downstairs bedroom, everything is going well so far...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm currently prepping a shower for tiling. One wall has been built out for the shower...
Replies
Views
Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views
Hi, first time posting. I’m in the middle of tiling my own bathroom, first time having a go at...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Shower problem
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.