Discuss Shower problem in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

dscoll

No, Kitty. The job was done by a professional tiler , hired by the builder I refer to,about 5 years ago. The builder has returned to fix the job at his own expense, the tiler is not interested
AHHHH,so this jub has just been done by a builder recently and also badly

if this is the case you are within your rights to refuse any suggesstions he is making to fix this as they are bad ones

take the advice of here and make him start agin at his own cost or take him to court

D

dscoll

Does anyone have an answer to my other initial question:
Problem 2:
The old tiles are 8mm floor tiles (I know they shoudn't be on the wall but its too late now) and the adhesive is 10mm. Thats 18mm total, which looks suspiciously high. I want to use better gripping adhesive so im looking at nicobond glass tile flexible adhesive ,hopefully it won't crack. Problem is the max recomended thickness is 12mm and the new wall tiles are 5mm. That means i would need 13mm of adhesive, so is it ok to exceed the 12mm max limit by 1mm or would it be better to put on a tile backing board or is there a 3rd way.

P

Polishtradesman

Whitebeam
It's a gypsum finish on a cement undercoat.
The plaster get very wet when the shower leaked but it is undamaged, therefore it must be waterproof.
I think it's been tanked.
I dont get it. How is it possible that gypsum is waterproof?? or maybe i understood wrong? All wet areas should have been tanked, especcialy in shower . Use flexible sealing compound to make surface waterproof then tile on adhesve class C2. In my opinion gypsum material cant be waterproof and it is very big mistake to tile on such a surface in wet areas

T

TheTiler

I reckon your builder originally had a guy fix some porcelain floor tiles using a ready-mixed tub adhesive which was not designed to fix porcelain, nor tiles of that size and weight. The vibration, expansion/drying out of the premature and over-polished gypsum led to a complete and utter classic builders mistake. To use PVA anywhere, and at anytime in a tiling installation is a mistake, but to pour it down a void behind a tile will only result it running down the inch-wide voids in your wall and sticking your kettle to your kitchen work surface (for a day).

D

dscoll

I know it's not ideal but i've had no better suggestions from anyone on this forum. Yesterday I tried gluing a piece of tile with pva as a test and it stuck solid, so in absence of any better ideas i will have to give it a try.
I reckon your builder originally had a guy fix some porcelain floor tiles using a ready-mixed tub adhesive which was not designed to fix porcelain, nor tiles of that size and weight. The vibration, expansion/drying out of the premature and over-polished gypsum led to a complete and utter classic builders mistake. To use PVA anywhere, and at anytime in a tiling installation is a mistake, but to pour it down a void behind a tile will only result it running down the inch-wide voids in your wall and sticking your kettle to your kitchen work surface (for a day).

Reply to Shower problem in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, We're currently adding an en-suite to a downstairs bedroom, everything is going well so far...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm currently prepping a shower for tiling. One wall has been built out for the shower...
Replies
Views
Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views
Hi, first time posting. I’m in the middle of tiling my own bathroom, first time having a go at...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Shower problem
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.