UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss shower tray tiling in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

Muse2k8

Depends on a few things really. Latest job I did I was better off tiling first and then fitting the tray. Apart from an annoying curve in the wall everything was square enough to do so. Although in other cases it's better to fit the tray first ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345240804.888625.jpg

B

billy whizz

yes that how im gonna tile my shower, the walls are flat and square as its a new build bathroom, i already have a shower fitted fine, but walls are gettig damp behind the tiles due to not preparig it properly in the first place, im gonna add battons and attach aquapael boards 2.4mx900x12.5 from floor to ceiling, tile the shower cubicle then fit the tray/shower closure etc...its a really good installation that i did about 5 years ago but sadely didnt prepare the walls properly hence the need to remove the entire shower enclosure/tray, remove the tiles and fix battons...using bal whitstar adhesive, aqua panel tape..seal joints and tile over the booards..

P

Perry

yes that how im gonna tile my shower, the walls are flat and square as its a new build bathroom, i already have a shower fitted fine, but walls are gettig damp behind the tiles due to not preparig it properly in the first place, im gonna add battons and attach aquapael boards 2.4mx900x12.5 from floor to ceiling, tile the shower cubicle then fit the tray/shower closure etc...its a really good installation that i did about 5 years ago but sadely didnt prepare the walls properly hence the need to remove the entire shower enclosure/tray, remove the tiles and fix battons...using bal whitstar adhesive, aqua panel tape..seal joints and tile over the booards..
As Andy said aqua boards are not waterproof will have to be tanked

T

True Tiling

Always fit shower tray first. The plumber should have known dimensions and fitted it with a solid seal to the aqua panel to seal wall to tray. The tilers job is to tile near to the tray leaving a 4 mm movement joint between the tray and tile. This allows for a movement bead of silicone between the two different backgrounds which will move in extremes. It's the first defence against leaking. Then it's up to the plumbers work on the tray installation.

B

billy whizz

That might have sounded confusing:
Fit tray
Fit bath
Seal (plumber)
Tile
Second Plumber fix (taps etc.)
SIMPLES!

lol..yeah was wondering what you meant...so in this order

1. fit aquapaels to walls
2 fit tray to aquapaels
3 seal tray against aquapaels
4 fit tiles leavig a 4mm gap between tile and tray
5 seal gap between tile and tray with silicone sealant
6 fit the rest of the plumbing in the shower cubicle (ie shower head/thermostatic bar shower etc)

by the way im gonna use the same shower tray, nothing wrong with it, its one of those 900mm x 900mm offset shape type with a viagara frameless doors thats made by jacuzzi uk, dont make them anymore..

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
the walls are flat and square as its a new build bathroom.

I very much doubt it. Certainly on a new build. But generally it's tray in first, tile and then enclosure. Even if your walls were 100% perfect there's many other things to consider. Warps in your tiles, warps in the moulding of the tray etc.

I've never come across a tray or enclosure that suggests or instructs doing it any other way.

P

Perry

Last edited by a moderator:
B

billy whizz

yes i know nothing is waterproof, but these were recommemeded by lots of people even on other forums, they basically dont disintergrate, still stay strong even when wet, been advised no tanking is necesaary, however if i did tank the aquapanels how would the adhesive for the tiles stick onto the boards, after all tanking is basically a thin film of rubbery sealant...isnt it ?...so ive read and been advised..

ive already got the aquapanel boards delivered today...so its a bit late to change, cant see a problem though if i use a flexible adhesive like bal whitestar and some decent grout like mapei ultracolour plus...

P

Perry

yes i know nothing is waterproof, but these were recommemeded by lots of people even on other forums, they basically dont disintergrate, still stay strong even when wet, been advised no tanking is necesaary, however if i did tank the aquapanels how would the adhesive for the tiles stick onto the boards, after all tanking is basically a thin film of rubbery sealant...isnt it ?...so ive read and been advised..

ive already got the aquapanel boards delivered today...so its a bit late to change, cant see a problem though if i use a flexible adhesive like bal whitestar and some decent grout like mapei ultracolour plus...
Yes backer boards are waterproof and only a two thirds of the price of aquapanals so why are you asking for help if you know what's best sorry but only tring to help no benefit to me

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to shower tray tiling in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, We're currently adding an en-suite to a downstairs bedroom, everything is going well so far...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hi I have a wetroom tray on timber floor. We have an impey shower tray and tanking membrane...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.