UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss SHOWER WATERPROOFING KIT - All you need in 1 tub! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Once all the Mapeband is pressed firmly into the initial coating with the flat side of a tile serator or a grouting float - to ensure a flat, well stuck and air bubble free adhesion, I then go over the face of the Mapeband with another coating of Mapegum with my paint brush. Make sure not to apply the coating too thick.
IMG00011-20100709-1247.jpg

I then cut in to the ceiling and around the shower valve, so that when I start to use the paint roller I don't need to get too close to the painted ceiling or plumbing.
IMG00012-20100709-1257.jpg

Now i'm ready for the first coat to the walls and tray using the roller:thumbsup:
IMG00013-20100709-1307.jpg

IMG00014-20100709-1313.jpg

That was only the first coat so still not done - 1PM and I nipped away to another job for a couple of hours while it dries completely.
Went back at 3.30PM and gave it all another coating exactly as the first time - cutting in all internal corners, ceiling and plumbing before going over everything with the paint roller.
IMG00016-20100709-1529.jpg

At this point, you can see the difference between the walls that have had two coats and the tray which still only has had one.
IMG00017-20100709-1529.jpg

IMG00018-20100709-1533.jpg

The finished job....
IMG00019-20100709-1534.jpg

IMG00020-20100709-1534.jpg

M

Moggs

All,

In the last few weeks I have noticed some water running down the wall under my shower tray. On further investigation the grout had cracked in places so decided to remove a tile or two. The plasterboard behind WAS SATURATED WITH WATER. I have since stripped off all the tiles around the shower (2 walls on a quadrant shower) and am in the process off removing the wet plasterboard. AS a DIY-er I am planning to redo the job myself but have the following questions:-
1.) Would you place the shower tray in the corner and butt the aquapanel board onto the shower tray or put the aquapanel board up first then put the shower tray into the corner?
2.) I'm planning on tanking the aqua board with Mapei Shower Waterproof kit. Do I then run the tape along the join between the aquapanel board and the shower tray? 3.) Should I use silicone between tray and aqualpanel before doing above?
4.) How much should the tape lay on the shower tray - the thickness of the tile adhesive and tile or should it be more?
5.)If the tape and waterproofer (tanking sytem) sits on the tray is it resistant to harsh cleaners etc (occasional use of bleach on the shower tray by my wife!)

I have already paid good money for tiling once (3 years ago) but the job wasn;t done properly so I have decided to do it myself and want to make sure it is done properly and will last this time! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Moggs

M

martin walker

Wow, no sooner asked than done, thanks chaps! I'm ahead of Moggs by the sounds of it as I already have hardibacker boards (not sure if as good as aquapanel,but still water resistant) installed and tray fitted upto them, so glad to hear thats ok :) Have a BAL waterproofing kit myself and did think after buying it that I don't need it because of the hardibacker... but I figured a belt and braces approach can't do any harm... Thanks again for the advice.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to SHOWER WATERPROOFING KIT - All you need in 1 tub! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Hi there, long time lurker, first time poster. I’ve recently moved in to a new build property...
Replies
Views
So with the Mapei waterproofing kit you get some waterproofing tape. Bare with me, with sealing...
Replies
Views
Hi All and thank you in advance. I'm DIY'er with quite good general understanding and capable of...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
SHOWER WATERPROOFING KIT - All you need in 1 tub!
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

Results are only viewable after voting.

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.