UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Showeroom take 3... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

Rich

Some of you may remember me telling you about my girlfriends mothers shower room (tiled by brain damaged chimps). she had lived there for around 8 years when water started to come through the wall as the internal corners of the shower area had not been siliconed. She claimed on the insurance in they sent in the worst excuse for tradesmen I have ever come across. The got rid of the ruined plaster board and replaced with stirling board, when i flagged this up they told her that it was "special" stuff. They finished and it was awful, the tiles didnt match, the joints were drunk, they left a 2" gap between the shower tray and the bottom course of tiles and covered it with UPVC strips and then didnt silicone these to make them water tight. They also had drilled the holes for the shower in the wrong place and just left them and of course they grouted the internal corners. Shock horror water then came pouring through the walls again.

Back in touch with the insurance company and they send in the A-team, the guys that are going to put this all right :lol:

I took these pics after their first day, that wall is ply, rotten through, it has been up there since the house was built around 20 years ago and neither of these firms has replaced it, they have both just tiled over it with tub adhesive. When she flagged this up he talked her round by saying "its alright love, Im going to make it water proof with PVA". In hisdefensee, he left the window open over night to dry the ply out :lol:
I wonder how long its going to last this time?

020.jpg 017.jpg

D

Daz

Unfortunately, a lot of insurance companies and builders will only look at the bottom line. I've just replaced the main bathroom and downstairs loo for a client who's house is less than 6 months old. I've got to sort out their en-suite when they can afford it too.

Incorrect prep, wrong materials and poor skill means that failures happen sooner but the monkeys seem to remain in employment - it amazes me!

Daz

R

Rich

Im afraid I cant touch it. I put in a price but the insurance company obviously found somebody cheaper. Im not bothered to be honest, I have tried helping her out endless times and she thinks that she knows better. She just opens up the yellow pages and phones the first local tradesmen she comes across even though I have offered to recommend any trade she needs. Some people you just cant help so Im staying well out of it. To be honest it drives me mad because it is people like her that keep these idiots in business. He has been back 3 times as the sanitary ware is leaking and it is still leaking :mad2:

M

Mike

Im afraid I cant touch it. I put in a price but the insurance company obviously found somebody cheaper. Im not bothered to be honest, I have tried helping her out endless times and she thinks that she knows better. She just opens up the yellow pages and phones the first local tradesmen she comes across even though I have offered to recommend any trade she needs. Some people you just cant help so Im staying well out of it. To be honest it drives me mad because it is people like her that keep these idiots in business. He has been back 3 times as the sanitary ware is leaking and it is still leaking :mad2:
that's your inheritance going down the pan there rich, literally :lol:

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Showeroom take 3... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, We're currently adding an en-suite to a downstairs bedroom, everything is going well so far...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hi I have a wetroom tray on timber floor. We have an impey shower tray and tanking membrane...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Showeroom take 3...
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

Results are only viewable after voting.

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.