Discuss Silicone Done Badly in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

S

SteUK

Hi all,

Just a diy'er with...Silicone advice this time if I may beg.

I have done my fair share of siliconing in the past, but never really had to pay much attention to the finer points. Now I have come to seal my newly tiled bathroom I think I have made a catalog of mistakes. Let me list them so we can get the chuckling out the way early doors :/

- used saliva and finger to glide over joints.

- think I haven't put enough on in some areas. On some of the cut edges of ceramic tiles I can feel the lip from sealant to tile top.

Actually that's it. But I guess two very bad things, no?

My worry is primarily that water might seep into the tile...and mould, though I did use good silicone (Mapei).

Should I be looking to dig it all out and start again? Or go over the top and hope for the best? Or chop back so it's level with the tiles, clean and put new beads on top?

Thanks in advance

S

SteUK

Here are some pics of my botched effort...

Kind of hard to see, but the silicone is filling the gaps only, not a great deal (on in most places any) overlap onto tile faces.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

S

SteUK

Don't look to bad.......should of halfed the tile center of the bath would of given you bigger cuts each end....looks better. .:)

I unmed and arred about this. The reason I went with small cuts at the end is because I would have then had an equally small cut meeting the 45 degree of the shower. The was I did it meant I had even cuts either side of the 45. It was a bit catch 22.

S

SJPurdy

Going over already set silicone again to raise the surface may not be the best thing as new silicone doesn't always stick that well to old and feathering out the edges of the patch may be difficult to get good appearance.
Likewise going over fresh silicone that has been wet tooled will not give a good bond.
Prior to siliconeing the surfaces must be clean and dry which alcohol (ethanol) can help with in some circumstances, but I am not sure if it will help new and old silicones bond.

As stated do not use spit to wet tools as it contains rubbish that will encourage mold growth. Use clean water with/without a bit of eg. washing up liquid - or as recommended by the sealant manufacturer. As stated some will recommend spraying the tooling water over the fresh bead of sealant but I have always found just dipping the tool into a pot of it before using is sufficient.

F

Floor restoration

Hi all,

Just a diy'er with...Silicone advice this time if I may beg.

I have done my fair share of siliconing in the past, but never really had to pay much attention to the finer points. Now I have come to seal my newly tiled bathroom I think I have made a catalog of mistakes. Let me list them so we can get the chuckling out the way early doors :/

- used saliva and finger to glide over joints.

- think I haven't put enough on in some areas. On some of the cut edges of ceramic tiles I can feel the lip from sealant to tile top.

Actually that's it. But I guess two very bad things, no?

My worry is primarily that water might seep into the tile...and mould, though I did use good silicone (Mapei).

Should I be looking to dig it all out and start again? Or go over the top and hope for the best? Or chop back so it's level with the tiles, clean and put new beads on top?

Thanks in advance
Sealant tools in london do wooden sticks for silicone great finish

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Silicone Done Badly in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
Hello All For good or bad (probably bad as its not a common choice) we're planning to tile...
Replies
Views
Hello guys. I came upon and registered with this forum while doing some research on decoupling...
Replies
Views
hats67 - Yesterday at 11:48 PM Add bookmark #1 Hello guys. I came upon and registered with...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB