Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Silicone Eater in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

Daz

I've been asked to quote for a small job for a lovely elderly couple that I have done a few jobs for. I'd normally walk but 'cos they are a nice couple I kind of feel obliged.

They want the grout at the base of their shower cubicle to be "cleaned". The grout and silicone have a nice orange hue to them. I don't have any issues with cleaning the grout out and re-grouting and I intend to "cut" and scrape the silicone away. I was thinking of using Silicone Eater to remove the remaining bits of silicone but have never used it. Do I have to leave it for ages before getting on with the rest of the cleaning and repairing or can I just crack on? I want this job done in half a day or so.

Thanks in advance.

Daz

kilty55

TF
Arms
edinburgh
hi mate,ive used numerous silicone eaters...most have been mediocar...hg do one though that you apply out a bottle with a brush attachment,cut most of the heavy silicone away 1st and paint this stuff on and it worked not to bad at all......

another tool i would like to try is the silicone cutter from cornertape it loooks so easy,not sure if those guys do a silicone eater as well...either way if you cut the silicone out and use the hg stuff a half shift for a shower cubicle will be fine imo :thumbsup::thumbsup: enjoy it:thumbsup:

C

Colour Republic

hi mate,ive used numerous silicone eaters...most have been mediocar...hg do one though that you apply out a bottle with a brush attachment,cut most of the heavy silicone away 1st and paint this stuff on and it worked not to bad at all......

another tool i would like to try is the silicone cutter from cornertape it loooks so easy,not sure if those guys do a silicone eater as well...either way if you cut the silicone out and use the hg stuff a half shift for a shower cubicle will be fine imo :thumbsup::thumbsup: enjoy it:thumbsup:

Really?? I thought the HG one was a bit pants myself, smells nice, but pants

I've tried quite a few myself with varying results, the best I thought was one from screwfix but can't remember who by:oops:.

I have been wondering if the difference in results is not down to the eater but maybe the quality of the silicone to be removed???.

I too would like to try that tool from cornertapes vids, does look handy.

I normally cut away as much as possible with a stanley knife, then a bit more with a brand new window scraper blade (used at the right angle doesn't damage bath of shower tray), finally silicone eater.

B

Big-Smudge

Hi Guys,

The plastic tool is really aimed at DIYers or small jobs, it too can be re-sharpened, but I would always go for the metal tool myself.

It has 3 blades so you can push, pull and scrape the old silicone off (use whichever you find the easiest for yourself).

The pics below show the results and it should also be noted that the angle on the blades help prevent any damage to delicate surfaces as your only using the tip of the blades to remove the bulk of it first.

1. Notice how only the tip of the blade is being used
Blade Angle.jpg

2. Pic says everything
Push.jpg

3. Again
Pull.jpg

4. After removing the bulk, you'll be left with a little residue either side,
Residue.jpg

5. So use the flat scraper to remove this.
Scrape.jpg

6. Now prep' the surfaces with a cornertape wipe (all other wipes contain ALOE which leaves a greasy residue on the surfaces, ours don't)
Clean.jpg

7. Ready to be siliconed (however you choose to do it):mad2:
Done.jpg

I forgot to mention, if you want a tool then get into your local Wolseley 'Plumb Center' next week, you should have one round the corner from wherever you live

Thx
Andy:hurray:

Last edited by a moderator:
U

united

Hi Guys,

The plastic tool is really aimed at DIYers or small jobs, it too can be re-sharpened, but I would always go for the metal tool myself.

It has 3 blades so you can push, pull and scrape the old silicone off (use whichever you find the easiest for yourself).

The pics below show the results and it should also be noted that the angle on the blades help prevent any damage to delicate surfaces as your only using the tip of the blades to remove the bulk of it first.

1. Notice how only the tip of the blade is being used
View attachment 8023

2. Pic says everything
View attachment 8024

3. Again
View attachment 8025

4. After removing the bulk, you'll be left with a little residue either side,
View attachment 8026

5. So use the flat scraper to remove this.
View attachment 8027

6. Now prep' the surfaces with a cornertape wipe (all other wipes contain ALOE which leaves a greasy residue on the surfaces, ours don't)
View attachment 8028

7. Ready to be siliconed (however you choose to do it):mad2:
View attachment 8029

I forgot to mention, if you want a tool then get into your local Wolseley 'Plumb Center' next week, you should have one round the corner from wherever you live

Thx
Andy:hurray:

I have this tool and use it loads, comes in handy on most jobs so I would recommend that everyone gets one :thumbsup:

B

Big-Smudge

Thanks Andy,

I may well go get one of those. I notice that your demo pics show the removal of a "clean" silicone bead. I would like to see pics showing it removing a load of DIY chicken splatter as that would certainly be more realistic IMO.

If I do the job and purchase one of your scraper thingies I'll post some pics :lol:.

I'll put somthing together for you but we struggle to make our silicone look like 'chichen splatter' because we use CORNERTAPE:lol: and the bead I've removed was in fact made with CORNERTAPE:lol: and there was nothing wrong with it :lol:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LwyHWzLABU]YouTube - CornerTape silicone removers[/ame]

Cheers
Andy

Reply to Silicone Eater in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

F
Good evening all. I need to tile the kitchen floor over the bank holiday weekend. We are having...
Replies
Views
Futuregrout
F
E
Hi, I am proceeding (slowly) with my first tiling job. Floor tiled, all walles tiled, floor...
Replies
Views
El Kabong!
E
S
Hope someone can put mmy mind at ease. We had a new bathroom put in a year ago. Travertine tiled...
Replies
Views
swanman
S
M
Just something brought up over on the plumbing forum. Seemed to be a mix of opinions on whether...
Replies
Views
Muse2k8
M
D
Afternoon all After tiling and once the grout is dry i tend to silicone between the bath and...
Replies
Views
kendo1
K

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Silicone Eater
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.