Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Slate on Wood Floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Y

yrag1964

Went to a job yesterday to take up a slate floor in a kitchen which had been down less than two years, because some tiles have been splitting and grout joints cracking.
Instead of just going in and knocking them up without looking at anything I thought I would inspect it and ask you guys to give me your ideas on why it may have started to crack.
On first impressions the job looked good,
The tiles had been cut tight up to the skirtings and kick plates without any grout joints, it was laid with flexible addy on top of flexi mat which had been stuck down to the tongue and groove with normal fast set addy, the T&G was 25mm thick laid on spongey underlay which was about 5mm thick , which was then screwed down to a concrete floor with an odd screw here and there.
I have took it all back to the concrete to start again.

Y

yrag1964

the floor was in house so the underlay was to stop the floor boards banging onto the concrete, there was no gap what so ever round the skirting, that is what I thought the problem was because there will be quite a bit of movement in the T&G through out the year, but I was checking with you guys as I have only been tiling for a year, had 10yrs as builder over 20yrs ago though, I think the reason they did not take the wood up to lay the tiles on the floor was because they were too lazy and hoped that the floor would stay down. It took me a day to get the tiles up and a nearly a day to take the wood up as stud walls had been built on top of it, I am charging Fired Earth the tile shop £300 for taking the floor up and will get £750 for laying the new one!! good game to be in this tiling lark!!! I LOVE TILING ME!!

G

GazTech

the floor was in house so the underlay was to stop the floor boards banging onto the concrete, there was no gap what so ever round the skirting, that is what I thought the problem was because there will be quite a bit of movement in the T&G through out the year, but I was checking with you guys as I have only been tiling for a year, had 10yrs as builder over 20yrs ago though, I think the reason they did not take the wood up to lay the tiles on the floor was because they were too lazy and hoped that the floor would stay down. It took me a day to get the tiles up and a nearly a day to take the wood up as stud walls had been built on top of it, I am charging Fired Earth the tile shop £300 for taking the floor up and will get £750 for laying the new one!! good game to be in this tiling lark!!! I LOVE TILING ME!!
well done

Reply to Slate on Wood Floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Slate on Wood Floor
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.