Discuss Slate Tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

SteveH

Hi - We've just had an expensive grey slate floor laid and the tilers have used the wrong colour grout. It is much lighter than advised - it was supposed to be mid grey to match the tiles and it has dried to light sand colour. We understand it is possible to dye grout but our concern is that as the tiles are untreated, they would discolour around the edges if the dye from the grout migrated to the tiles. Can anyone offer advice?
Moderation Tools(0)

S

SteveH

Hi Everyone!

Sorry for no responses from me but I have not been around! I will get some pictures of the job at the weekend and post them. I know nothing about tiling grouting etc., but we have not been given the job we asked for and that is the problem. It is interesting to read the comments about sealing the tiles before grouting and I would like to know more about this, and what the correct procedure for laying the floor is. At present I have taken the problem up with the tile supplier/fitters, they are all well known company in my area and came with good recommendation and I hope they will resolve this problem, but who knows! However it is great to have independent advice. Anyway thanks for the comments so far!

I

Ian

Hi Steve, with slate most pro tilers would, seal after fixing but before grouting, then seal again after grouting. There are a number of other questions that hopefully you could answer or find out the answers such as, what adhesive and grout was used an what fixing method did the tiler use, solid bed or dot and dab (solid bed is the correct way). I'm just trying to assess whether there may be other aspects of your job that may not have been done to the correct standard. I'm only speculating, so don't think I'm trying to worry you!!!

Reply to Slate Tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi folks, We're having our downstairs tiles installed soon, about 82m2 of 1.2x1.2m square...
Replies
Views
Hi there I’m new to Tile Forum and joined to get professional opinions because I really need...
Replies
Views
Hi there I ordered 160sqm of 90cm x 90cms of matching Large Format Porcelain tiles. 105sqm for...
Replies
Views
Our tile installer abandoned our new installation project. A smaller section of cut tile...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am in the process of tiling with subways and just wanted some help with corners, if trim...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Slate Tiles
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.