Discuss SLC advice in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

cornish_crofter

Just some advice please guys. following on from my previous thread

I've reset all my markers on the floor. I used screws not packers. To try and make the job easier tomorrow I poured and levelled one bag of SLC to sort out the area that wasn't covered last time, and I intend to level out as best as possible what is left tomorrow.

I didn't do it all in one hit as I reckoned I would have had all the SLC trying to run down into the low spot but settling everywhere I didn't want to. I reckon I've now got the floor down to around 4mm variation all over. The area is 9.1m squared.

Although I was going to go for a minimum of 3mm all over I want to try to just bring it up to the highest point if I can - I really don't want to bring the floor level up too much if I can.

I don't have access to a roller but this evening I managed to use a floor scraper to try and move it around. I'll have to see how it's looking in the morning.

I'm hoping just to use some SLC to 'fill the low points' to get a level. Don't mind a few small crevases - that's what tile adhesive and a derby is for :smilewinkgrin:

D

doug boardley

it's hard to describe how to do it effectively Hugo, I set up screws drilled into the substrate as markers, a bit like the peeps that reconstruct faces from ancient skulls, and then work my slc up to these points. Sometimes you have to push and pull your slc to break the surface tension and get an even distribution. I guess it's down to experience and geting a "feel" to know when it's right.

C

cornish_crofter

basically Hugo, the deepest parts were from my starting point, ie away from the door, so I was troweling it back to where i started from and letting it work it's magic, wont be back there till mid week but I'll post some pics with my level on it

Don't do that Doug, because it'll be perfect and I'll be making mine up with tile adhesive :lol:

So the deepest parts were 50mm and you just worked away from that then.

The problem I had when I tried to do the 10mm level was that it just ran towards me. I tried to push it back but it just kept running forwards. There was no way it was going to work.

However, this evening, like you I backfilled the deepest part (the bid that didn't get filled last time) It took 10mm or so easily as there was no where for it to go apart from cover the lowest point. Is this how you achieved it?

D

doug boardley

only reason I gave it another topping today Hugo was because it was a garage that had been converted into a fitness and utility area, I'd reformed the floor where the car pit was but hadn't successfully dammed it, so the slc was weeping into the pit causing depressions in the surroundng areas. I decided to leave it yesterday so that the surrounding slc would seal the gaps and it did, so I just went back today to top it all up.

C

cornish_crofter

Anyway, I've only got about 4mm at the most to make up. In a couple of areas I've got nothing to make up. One of the biggest areas to make up is in a far corner so I'll probably mix a full load but only pour half of it to start with and spread that over the tops of the screws, spreading it around so it just sits level with the screws.

Then work my way back around a high point and do the same in the next area.

C

cornish_crofter

only reason I gave it another topping today Hugo was because it was a garage that had been converted into a fitness and utility area, I'd reformed the floor where the car pit was but hadn't successfully dammed it, so the slc was weeping into the pit causing depressions in the surroundng areas. I decided to leave it yesterday so that the surrounding slc would seal the gaps and it did, so I just went back today to top it all up.

I know it does eventually stop seeping out as it sets quite quickly.

I am just trying to understand whether you got it to behave a bit like a screed and get the 50mm all in one go. If I had my time again I would have set battens at 10mm high from the mid point but level and filled the bays. I've got some lengths of door stop that would have achieved this.

Q

quackfly

dont worry about it mate, i had a day like yours on thursday. spent ages trying to work with some slc that just wouldnt behave, ended up looking like crap but like you the only solution is to cover with another thin coat to finish off. its all a learning curve which costs us time and profit. Dont fret in getting ur finish perfect th the mil , a good thick bed of addy and frequent checks with ur level will get u out of trouble! look at this way, next time u put slc down everything will run much smoother, pardon the pun! always remember the human factor in everything u do. We're problem solvers and when the print on a bag of product doesnt do what it says it will its time to switch to our own grey matter, you're not alone in dramas we al get them! :)

C

cornish_crofter

dont worry about it mate, i had a day like yours on thursday. spent ages trying to work with some slc that just wouldnt behave, ended up looking like crap but like you the only solution is to cover with another thin coat to finish off. its all a learning curve which costs us time and profit. Dont fret in getting ur finish perfect th the mil , a good thick bed of addy and frequent checks with ur level will get u out of trouble! look at this way, next time u put slc down everything will run much smoother, pardon the pun! always remember the human factor in everything u do. We're problem solvers and when the print on a bag of product doesnt do what it says it will its time to switch to our own grey matter, you're not alone in dramas we al get them! :)

Thanks for that. I'm not the only person who has problems then :lol:. I'm about to do pretty much what you did.

Reply to SLC advice in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
Moved this as I incorrectly posted in the Pro forum! Hi all, Finally getting to lay the tiles in...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
SLC advice
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.