Search the forum,

Discuss So much prep was a pain on this bathroom in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com.

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Nottingham
My favourite customers of over 8 years have moved house and this is the first of 5 bathrooms/ensuites ending with 130m2 floor.
Original bathroom looked great at first look but on closer inspection there were a few red flags.
Tiles came off the walls in seconds with no damage to substrate as they'd been dot and dabbed onto skimmed plaster board, white wash paint and neat PVA.

IMG_2053.JPEG

IMG_2054.JPEG

Thought I'd do a little job diary as the prep was a pain and might help others in future.
Normally removing white wash is quick and easy with a damp sponge but because of the neat PVA that didn't work.
Tried lots of things and discovered the easiest way of dealing with it was steel wool, lots of clean water and a sponge.

IMG_2058.JPEG

IMG_2057.JPEG

Got the tiles up off the wooden floor to find a Durabase mat 🤬!
I know a decoupling mat is quicker and easier to fit than cement board but it's the wrong product for this situation and means I've got to strip it out and grind all the adhesive off - picked the hottest day of the year as well!
Next day I got the new tray in and boarded the floor.

IMG_2059.JPEG

IMG_2067.JPEG

IMG_2068.JPEG

IMG_2069.JPEG

Reply to So much prep was a pain on this bathroom in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Advertisement