Guest viewing is limited

Discuss So newbie and so in need of guidance! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

devilsprofessor

Hi All!

Complete, never tiled in my life, newbie here! But, I'm up for giving it a go.

I want to file the floor in my kitchen, which is linked to my dining room with an arch way and is at the most a grand total of 2m sq. This includes the space under my fridge, dish washer and washing machine.

I live in a brand new house. The floor is concrete and I'm pretty hopful it's pretty flat.

I've googled loads but I can't find a guide that answers all my points. I get the bits on putting adhesive on the floor, spacers, checking where I'm putting them but could someone help me with the following;

- How do I prepare the floor?
- Do I grout the space between the tile and the skirting board/kick board/cupboard? Or so I use silicone.
- As it's a kitchen am I best sealing the whole floor - will it be water proof if my washing machine ever dies?
- Any advice on what to do at the threshold of the archway leading to the dining room. It currently leads onto bamboo floor.

Thanks in advance - I cannot wait to get going! :drool5:

Hi and :welcome:.

Hi All!

Complete, never tiled in my life, newbie here! But, I'm up for giving it a go.

I want to file the floor in my kitchen, which is linked to my dining room with an arch way and is at the most a grand total of 2m sq.
This includes the space under my fridge, dish washer and washing machine.

You sure bearing in mind the fridge, dishwasher and washing machine is about 1.5m2 in total, that doesn't leave you much floor space to walk around in:lol:

I live in a brand new house. The floor is concrete and I'm pretty hopful it's pretty flat.

I've googled loads but I can't find a guide that answers all my points. I get the bits on putting adhesive on the floor, spacers, checking where I'm putting them but could someone help me with the following;

- How do I prepare the floor? If it's a new concrete floor and flat, you don't need to do anything:thumbsup:
- Do I grout the space between the tile and the skirting board/kick board/cupboard? Or so I use silicone. I always try to take the skirtings off and fix back on top of the finished floor - if thats not possible flexible grout should do the job, but silicone will be better:thumbsup:
- As it's a kitchen am I best sealing the whole floor - will it be water proof if my washing machine ever dies? What do you mean by sealing?
- Any advice on what to do at the threshold of the archway leading to the dining room. It currently leads onto bamboo floor. You can get ramp transition trims in various finishes, look at Schluter.com. Or get a timber thresh made that bridges the gap/height difference:thumbsup:

Thanks in advance - I cannot wait to get going!

Anything else, don't hesitate to ask:thumbsup:

Last edited:
D

devilsprofessor

Merelecolins that was a great reply and answered what I needed.

In relation to sealing I had read u can spray the finished product
to do this? Have I misunderstood? Can you make it waterproof?

Thanks for the advice on wet cutting, clearly I had no clue! maybe that
isn't something I should try first time?

Anyone got any suggestions on the best tiles for the kitchen that ain't
gonna be freezing??

Thanks everyone for ur help ( doing this on iPhone so can't
flick up to see ur names...but thanks!!)

T

Time's Ran Out

Merelecolins that was a great reply and answered what I needed.

In relation to sealing I had read u can spray the finished product
to do this? Have I misunderstood? Can you make it waterproof?

Thanks for the advice on wet cutting, clearly I had no clue! maybe that
isn't something I should try first time?

Anyone got any suggestions on the best tiles for the kitchen that ain't
gonna be freezing??

Thanks everyone for ur help ( doing this on iPhone so can't
flick up to see ur names...but thanks!!)

:welcome:What area are you from and have you considered a Tiler from the Forum to help/fix for you.
a) you can get sprayable sealers.
b) Under floor heating for cold tiles - or wear slippers.
c) Part of the floor is Bamboo!!!!!

Not all jobs should be considered a DIY experience.

But power to your elbow and good luck:lol:

Reply to So newbie and so in need of guidance! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
So newbie and so in need of guidance!
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.