UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss So where does the water go? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

doug boardley

It simply passes through the grout at the bottom of the tanked area. Which is why I used to be fussy about a really small bead of silicone. You don't want water trapped behind it, that's usually where you get the black mould from that seems to seep from behind there.
thats why I use a solid bed trowel in wet areas Dan, to stop the water ingress running down the ribs and pooling at the bottom.

A

Aston

the water would absorb into anything porous ie your cba and your grout or the...or absorb into the rear of the tile if it were ceramic.

if there was a section of grout missing grout, then the water ingress would be drawn back through the hole in the grout by capillary action, but again, some of the water would be absorbed into anything thats is porous..

oh and if the water was being drawn in at a rate that exceeded what the area could hold, then the pressure would build up and eventually 'pop' the tile off the wall..

Last edited by a moderator:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
thats why I use a solid bed trowel in wet areas Dan, to stop the water ingress running down the ribs and pooling at the bottom.

Nah I mean generally. The adhesive will still get water into it, even a solid bed. And if a family power shower is ran 3 times daily for 10 minutes say, it eventually does travel down to the bottom I guess?

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
the water would absorb into anything porous ie your cba and your grout or the...or absorb into the rear of the tile if it were ceramic.

if there was a section of grout missing grout, then the water ingress would be drawn back through the hole in the grout by capillary action, but again, some of the water would be absorbed into anything thats is porous..

oh and if the water was being drawn in at a rate that exceeded what the area could hold, then the pressure would build up and eventually 'pop' the tile off the wall..

^ and that ^ :lol: :lol: :lol:

D

diamondtiling

When I do a shower area I tank the screed but this tanking is carried into the pot below the main stainless steel trough,

jse_HPIM0131.jpg

So any water that gets behind the wall tiles or through the floor would eventually hit this membrane and find its way into the drainage system.

jse_HPIM0134.jpg jse_HPIM0138.jpg

In a house I would use something like this.. McAlpine Plumbing Supplies | Product Menu codeTSG1T6SS

Then any leaks can always be contained.

:thumbsup:

D

Deleted member 9966

My bathroom shower areas are tanked, but despite using the correct materials and tools, and siliconing alll the joints, water is getting through somewhere. I know this because the water find it's way out where the edge of the wall tiles meet the exposed corner of the bath on the outside. So the tanking system is working, but I'm still diagnosing where the pesky water is getting behind the tiles.

For me it will mean a whole re-grout and re-silicone. I suspect it's seeping through the grout but it all looks sturdy and solid to me, so trial and error. There's no embedded pipework that could be leaking and it only happens when we use the shower over the bath.

S

Scott

GRR you using an over bath screen? If so id lay my money on the water getting through there somewhere. Sometimes they can let water through the gap between the male and female channels and through the hinge mechanism at the bottom.
Iis quite common to get a damp patch by the edge of the bath at the base of the screen, just needs drying off and some additional silicone at the base of the hinge.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 9966

GRR you using an over bath screen? If so id lay my money on the water getting through there somewhere. Sometimes they can let water through the gap between the male and female channels and through the hinge mechanism at the bottom.
Iis quite common to get a damp patch by the edge of the bath at the base of the screen, just needs drying off and some additional silicone at the base of the hinge.

sorry boys, it's a shower rail and curtain. when the curtain is in place, I make sure it's all the way round, fully in the bath etc. I'm convinced the failure is somewhere between the bottom row of tiles and half way up. i've checked the silicone over so many times, taken it out twice and re-done just to be sure. there has to be a pin hole somewhere in the grout that I haven't found yet.

Reply to So where does the water go? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi I have a wetroom tray on timber floor. We have an impey shower tray and tanking membrane...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, I've had a bit of an issue on a job I've been doing recently. We finished tiling on...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.