UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Social housing site work in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Ruislip
Last week I got a weeks contract on site in Croydon. When I got there I was told it was tiling kitchens and bathrooms in occupied council flats. I got shown around one of the flats and was told where to tile. I asked about the flaking paint, the wallpaper still attached to the walls, the holes in the plaster, the remains of the old adhesive still on the walls, the plasterboard window cills that were sticking out from the wall by over 5mm. I was told to tile over everything and to grout as soon as I had finished tiling. I was constantly being told that the Polish tilers tile & grout 10sqm in a day (earning £150) for themselves. I was not happy. So I did my best to right the walls and to make the substrate as flat as possible. In the end it took me 3 days (earning me £50 a day). I made sure I measured right and made even sized cuts at either end of the walls. So after only 3 days I had to give up that site........mainly due to the fact that my travelling time was way over 4 hours a day. However, I was still not happy at being told to sling the tiles up on unstable walls. I'm pretty sure that this practice is the same for every council house/flat refit, but what really peed me off was the fact that the plasterers, sparks, carpenters etc all did half jobs......which made mine all the more difficult. I was told by my foreman that my work was excellent, but I was too slow. I guess I had been spoilt for 6 weeks working on new builds. I have attached some pictures of what I had to tile over. Cheers Sean

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Ruislip
Photos.....

Attachments

• 21072008457.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 76
  • 21072008458.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 71
  • 21072008459.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 68
  • 21072008460.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 61
  • 21072008462.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 64
  • 21072008464.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 59
  • 22072008465.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 61
  • 22072008469.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 62
G

Grace'sDad

Quality British housing eh?!
This is why I will steer clear of anything to do with social housing.
My Bro-in-law works for a large property group who look after social housing - he's a pro plasterer and also does tiling. This is exactly the kind of work he does and I know he just bodges it. Not his choice, but he has to leave it "looking" right, even if it's not right underneath. Once it's signed off, any subsequent damage or failure is blamed on the tenants! Totally unfair!

C

charlie1

I'm not shocked by the state of they walls at all. I done work for a local bathroom company when starting out just over a year ago and I was walking in to walls just as bad as that. The joiner who worked for them was shocking he used to leave me a right mess. I did complain but they where not interested. The only difference was there customers where paying 5-6 grand for there brand new bathroom. and getting quatity fittings fitted by total amitures. Amtico fitted by joiner who wasn't a real joiner tiling (before I started) done by plumber who probably wasn't even a plumber then the owner tried the tiling and thought he was so good they said the only reason they needed me was because the owner coulnt waste any more time on the tiling.

He used to go in and tile 20 m2 in a day and his attitude was 1 or 2 might fall off but thats ok its quicker to replace them than do it right in the first place:mad2:

Words of wisdom------ if you are ever do work for a bathroom / kitchen company get the terms and conitions sorted at the start. Have a leanthy talk about what is expected of you as a tiler and what you expect of them-----

And always stand your ground. :thumbsup:

M

Mad Hatter

LOL - Welcome to my world!

I'v been doing the social housing jobs in Manchester for the last month and some of the things that you have to do makes you cringe, you pack the van up and drive away wondering how long the tiles will be stuck to the walls for. I'm exactly the same position as you, we are going to have a chat after eight weeks to see how I'm doing, I've been told my work is good but I'm concerned about my speed. I try to treat every job like it is in my own house regardless of the endless things you come up against. I'm not willing to go on sq/m rate for the kitchens as they are such a ballache at times.

I sat here ****ing myself looking those pictures, what are you doing with the laser level out of the box? Mine hasn't seen daylight on these jobs yet!:lol:

I guess the kitchen splash-backs are three rows high on top of the worktop and down the back of the cooker with 15x15cm tiles.

The bathrooms are two high in bog stand 15x15 trade(wafer) tiles. I feel honoured when I get the the full bath area to do. It made my day the last week when I got a doorstep to do...:thumbsup:

Have you had any minging houses yet? I had an Asian house that had grease and curry plastered on the wall behind the cooker, I told the tennant to clean it up, fair play she did but when I pulled the cooker out it was disgusting. I was close to breaking point when a cockroach scurried past me!

Make the most of those foreigners matey and put the things you've learnt into practise, knowing that you've done a sound job that you can take some pride in.

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Ruislip
Mad hatter, laser level is a great little tool. Got the Stabila LAX50, but I just carry around the laser bit. The tripod stays in my shed. I use it because it's my new toy, and I do find it really useful. It gives me that extra bit of confidence, and it impresses the customers. No minging council places yet because I gave up that site a couple of weeks ago. I got offered another council site in Essex (150 mile round trip). I said no to that too. You are of course right about the tiles and the 3 rows above kitchen worktop. Tiles are quite good ones, so is the addy (Bal White star) I was very impressed with the materials.

L

LM Ceramics

oh no council work i did a year of council work with a tiling firm working in salford all i can say is rough rushed work and some of the people you meet in the houses (well say no more) i went in houses had a knife pointed at me a pitbull sniff round my leg and the tenant shouts "dont worry he only playing" drug dealers you name it as for the walls that you tile on banana walls or what.

i used to be forced to tile on wall paper, corroded window cills etc. eventually i quit the firm april last year and the final straw i knocked on this door at 8am no answer so came back later knocked on the door at 3 pm the last kitchen before i went homethe tenant said can you come back later on about 5pm were still in bed

the end

T

Taz8130

Social Housing? - I've seen it from another stand-point.... I used to be a Housing Benefits Fraud Investigator. For an example of scroungers. 1 woman was 34 had 11 kids and was getting over £700 per week benefits!! Another guy bought a new build house costing over £300K and stated that his elderly parents,who were both on income support, were living in it and claimed rent. Had it been true it would have been legal, but when I investigated it they were living in Pakistan. The son was living in it and we were paying his ****ing mortgage.

And the best one... There a Housing benefits rule called the "13 week Rule". Basically so long a you stay in the property you are claiming benefits for, for 1 day in 13 weeks your rent will still be paid. This guy was claiming ground rent for a caravan pitch where he parked his motorhome stating it was his main residence. He would drive the motorhome to Spain, enjoy the sun, and then return on the 12th week to keep his claim going.

I quit the job and moved to the Isle of Man.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Social housing site work in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm currently prepping a shower for tiling. One wall has been built out for the shower...
Replies
Views
  • Poll
Have you ever worked for a National Tile Supplier or even just smaller big chain tile suppliers...
Replies
Views
Hello. Can I take your advice please? Our groundworks company are refusing to guarantee their...
Replies
Views
I’m halfway through tiling a shower cubicle at home. First time doing any tiling. I’ve used...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.