Currently reading:
Some Advice/Discussion Please....

Discuss Some Advice/Discussion Please.... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

A

Arcticpollen

Guys,

I have to say this is one of the most informative forums I've ever come across! Excellent informed and (mostly!!) polite discussions on a topic I need to research while planning the removal and replacement of two poorly installed showers in a Gleesons house built about 6 years ago.

Although I'm reasonably competent at most DIY tasks, my real bugbear is leaking shower units so my plan for the main en-suite is to get it done properly by a professional installer/tiler. I may get the second en-suite prepared by a professional and then finish it off myself as I quite enjoy the challenge.

The current shower in the main en-suite is an 800x800 rubbishy tray raised from the existing floor. One wall is the end of the house so is aquaboard over block work and the other is an internal stud wall, again using aquaboard - I know it's aquaboard as I had to cut out/replace some of the existing tiles that were cracked when we moved in.

I'm sure that you all like a potential customer who is aware of the effort and costs associated with doing the job properly! So, my thoughts are that: -

1. I should have the existing crappy ceramic tiles removed and the substrate boards behind replaced.
2. I'll be having a new 1200x900 tray and panels installed with new decent tiling around the new shower.
3. Have the tiling extended around the remaining walls to the bottom level of the window and along the associated wall where the sink is.

I plan to make sure that whatever we end up with is a proper belt and braces job even if there is some element of overkill! What I would like some views on is: -

1. What would be your views on which type of substrate boards to use - I assume the existing ones could be cut out with the existing tiling, replaced and then joined to the existing non shower area boards, taped and skimmed etc.
2. I'll plan to have the walls tanked up to at least the level of the shower head. What are the merits/disadvantages of a membrane system as against a paint/tape system? In particular, what do I need to take into account for each with regard to the weight of the tiles? With other planned work ahead, I'll probably not be going for stupidly expensive/heavy tiles in any event but would welcome any comments on this aspect.
3. I'm probably not looking for a true wet room floor level shower area but I do quite fancy a low entry shower tray. I want anything installed to be absolutely rock solid - how much work is involved in making sure that the tray is solidly mounted and incapable of shifting over time? The shower is on the first floor so there should be plenty of room between the floor and the ceiling below for some work on the joists/floor to ensure that a suitable tray is solidly mounted. Any suggestions on a suitable make of tray? It must be very solidly constructed with a good design that allows the tanking to extend down with plenty of scope to be taped etc before the tiling goes in.
4. What sort of support would you recommend for the tray? I want so be able to walk into the shower without any hint of give or flex!

I want to be able to discuss all these points with a suitable installer with a degree of knowledge so that I can make sure I'm selecting someone who can do the job to a high standard.

For the record, in case any of you know anyone locally, I'm based in Horsham in West Sussex...

Thanks for taking the time to read the post and keep up the good work!!

Steven

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Some Advice/Discussion Please.... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.