Discuss Some advice please re UFH in a large concrete screed poured in two parts. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

daveyates

My first post here so apologies if it's not the right place to ask.
I've renovated a property and am finally, after 2 years, read yto put in the kitchen. The room is 10m x 4m and we are currently living on the concrete screed over wet UFH. The screed was poured in two parts due to the size of the room and there is therefore a crack running from wall to wall (so 4m long) about halfway down the room. The crack is no more than 2-3mm wide but I think it probably did expand/contract slightly when the UFH was running over last winter. There are no UFH pipes under where the kitchen units and island are going to go. We intend to put large (600 x 400) randomly coursed (ie not opus) limestone tiles down.
I have a few questions to which i have had different answers from BAL and from Schluter (not surprising I guess as they will obviously recommend their own product).

1) Do I need a decoupling membrane- if so which is the best?
2) Do I need a movement joint along the crack?
3) If I do need a movement joint does it need to be a preformed metal device or can I use something like an epoxy compound?
4) Do I need movement joints at the edges of the room? We intend to tile an upstand/skirt around the edge. The screed has a wooden 'former' around it so it doesn't quite touch the walls.
5) Anyone know a really good tiler in the York area?

As i say I've had Schluter telling me I need one of their movement joints and the Ditra matting, BAL telling me to put an Adshead Ratcliffe epoxypolysulphide compound in the crack and then use that for the movement joint as well and don't worry about the decoupling membrane. So I'm after a bit of impartial, expert advice please.
Many thanks in advance

Dave.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
There are lots of decouplers available as well as ditra from schluter. Dural, genesis systems, basf, nicobond all do them as well. Must have a joint reflected in the tile face a proprietary joint will last longer but look more obvious, a silicone type joint will look less conspicuous but won't be as durable. Re commission the underfloor heating if it has been off for a long time before tiling as well.If you put a joint over the screed break the uncoupling is not a necessity but is a belt and braces option. For the cost of it in comparison to the potential problems I would use it myself though.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Some advice please re UFH in a large concrete screed poured in two parts. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
Hi folks, We're having our downstairs tiles installed soon, about 82m2 of 1.2x1.2m square...
Replies
Views
Moved this as I incorrectly posted in the Pro forum! Hi all, Finally getting to lay the tiles in...
Replies
Views
Can I trouble some experts in here for some advice on laying pavers on a concrete pool surround...
Replies
Views
ADVICE WOULD BE APPRECIATED. The room is 10M x 4 M and has a new 50mm liquid screed over wet...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Some advice please re UFH in a large concrete screed poured in two parts.
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.