Discuss sometimes you just have to say "No" in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

Dougs Third Go

doing some plastering work at what is going to be a hairdressing salon, and they asked me to quote for the 30m2 floor. Existing is suspended timber floor, deflection free, so I quoted for NMP etc, the hairdressers were happy to go with it but the building landlord won't, even though he's not paying for it. He wanted to go down the 6mm ply route so if in future somebody else took over the lease they wouldn't be stuck with a tiled floor that would be problematic to rip out:thumbsdown:, I gave him all the reasons why I wouldn't do this and he came back with (after speaking to tile supplier) 6mm ply and then the NMP and was left flummoxed when I still said no. Sometimes you've just got to walk away from what is potentially a good earner....rant over.

C

Colour Republic

TBF the landlord has a point. You have no idea how long is left on the lease.

If there is a change of use where the floor has to come up either to be changed for something else or access services then NMP and its respective glue causes a right mess when coming up and the costs to rectify increase where the subfloor might need to be replaced too.

not suggesting you should tile on to 6mm ply but you can understand his reluctance in putting a bombproof floor covering down. Also keeping in mind commercial properties don't need floors to last 30 years as many are refurbed or change hands within 5 years.

Maybe the way to go was with 18mm ply. I've put blue tape over the screw heads before when I think there is a chance the floor will come up in the near future so it's easy enough to remove and put the floor back in its original condition.

D

Dougs Third Go

But it's 6mm plywood as a underlay to the NMP, that would take out some of the undulations and make it stronger now and easier to remove in the future.
it's still 9mm shy of BS guidelines though TJ and you're still going to get voids between the planks and the ply, but as I stated, somebody will probably be happy to do it but I don't drink enough horlicks :lol:

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to sometimes you just have to say "No" in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Morning all, I have been given the opportunity to quote for a 110m floor in a chevron pattern...
Replies
Views
Hi All First post long storey short had arranged for someone to re model my bathroom on the...
Replies
Views
E
just looking for some advice as to what has gone wrong. Used a local plumber who came highly...
Replies
Views
Flintstone
F
GRRRR. Friend of a friend has been pestering me to tile their house. Whole downstairs floor...
Replies
Views
Unused Account 1
U
O
One of my suppliers is going over from stocking Hardie to NMP So I am in the process of looking...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB