Discuss Speed Challenge from Tileution in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

Rob Z

For maximum bond strength, all material should be flat troweled on the substrate before being combed out. I don't see how this machine can accomplish that.

For wide-open areas, this might be cost-effective, especially if there is a crew that is organized and can be supplied with tile and keep up with the spread rate of material.

This reminds me of the guys that claim they're so fast because they use racks, but that is only effective on a limited number of jobs and for certain types of tile.

R

Rob Z

Have you not heard that time is money!!!

I think most of us have heard this one. But, what is more important to me (and many of us here) is doing a job as well as can be done, and to be long-lasting, because that is the source of continued referrals.

I am curious to hear a response to the concern that this machine can't achieve full bond strength because the material isn't keyed into the substrate first before being spread and notched.

kilty55

TF
Arms
edinburgh
what exactly is the test,,see how fast you can trowel a floor or wall properly against the macines speed?

or a reality test where you spread addy then have to tile an area as wel.................just out of curiosity say you were spreading addy over an area,then stopping to tile it,what would be the situation with the addy in the machine do you have to add a certain amount at a time

for example the tiler would have worked out how much mix he was going to do on lets say a 3 metre or 4 metre area,spread,tile,spread tile so on so on

can the machine take smaller amounts of addy say you were using rapid sets on a warm day can you quarter fill the machine? and also if you can do you have to wash it out etc before re doing another quarter bucket?

another thought i had on the machine was is ther any point in spreading huge amounts off addy in a competition over a large area? how are you going to get back to tile it if you trowel a square 8 sqaure metre square for example

not being negative jusy curious do you have any links to more vids i can watch at all thatd be good ta la

kilty55

TF
Arms
edinburgh
okay my brains started working after my glayvas last night hehe

this machine i think you said you had 2 sizes,are they aimed at commercial sized work or also site and domestic bathrooms etc?

what kind of time saving would youget for example on a 200 square metre shop floor by using this machine in man hours compared to the tiler troweling it himself?

also do you have estimated costs for this machines sale price or are any outlets already selling it mate i can look at online?

T

Tileution

okay so we are now getting some people up for the challenge , there are many different products we all know so what is the preferred square metreage to tile and what product - needs to be a sensible size as I said bigger the area bigger the benefits and then I can have a think. The machine is normally a two man job so please consider that - one man laying adhesive the other laying tiles for best performance and time saving.

I will answer the other valid points tomorrow, if thats okay. Also thanks for Dean for calling me on xmas eve with some very valid questions/clarifications so far we have tested the machine with a lot of BAL,Weber and PCI products and it has been very impressive. And I will go over what parts of the british standard the machines comply with.

at the end of the day Tileutions aim is to make money for the tiler and put money in your pocket.

A

Alberta Stone

I can see some limited uses for a machine such as this.
First, mastic is not the preferred adhesive, I never use it for anything....ever.
I always mix mortar of whatever kind is suitable for the job and that you cannot run through a machine.
So for commercial walls where there is a large crew to keep up with the mastic spreader so that you don't get skinned over adhesive would be essentially the real application for this machine.
For a small operation it is too much effort and expense.
Others have already made very valid points.
And who really cares how fast the adhesive goes down, it is how well it is applied and how well the tiles are set into it.
(not that I don't appreciate the effort to make such a gizmo)

Plus, surfaces are rarely if ever in perfect shape and need lots of prep work, sometimes with rush jobs the prep time is limited so you compensate by adding more thinset in places as you are setting tiles to get a level bed.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

mikethetile

ive been in the building game for over 30 yrs and have seen a lot of ideas come and go, some of the gadgets that have made it were invented by the tradesmen to make the job quicker and the idea picked up and developed by the tool manufacturers

the problem is that once the operation was speeded up the price dropped and the tradesmen had no choice but to invest in the new kit in order to earn less than they were before

this idea hasnt been a development of a time saving idea invented and passed around by the tradesmen doing the job. if it did succeed and reduced the m2 time taken to fix tile, no one would earn extra from it as the m2 price would drop on commercial work

Reply to Speed Challenge from Tileution in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

T
I us my angle grinder for a lot of shaping but it is a bit aggressive sometimes so I was looking...
Replies
Views
Diamond Pool Finishers
D
S
Charity single getting released for Gary Speed...
Replies
Views
D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=6SkvO0TERcU found this i wonder if it...
Replies
Views
P
Would be a good idea for us to share tips and videos of how to use Sigma machines properly for...
Replies
Views
Found this on Youtube.<br> <br> I was impressed because this woman tiled her shower in 2 and a...
Replies
Views
Yorkshire Tiling Services
Y

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Speed Challenge from Tileution
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.