Discuss Standard Wetroom Former Tile Cuts? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

cornish_crofter

you are correct a rendered base tiles are un cut (that would look bad).

On the perimater there is a slight fall from corner to centre then back to level at other corner.

With envelope style the prob is mainly too much fall causing you to have to bend tile (cut envelope).

If drain is square when tile meets it the two good edges of the tile sit flush with drain but the l shaped corner will always sit higher (hope you understand).*

Put the waste on a 45 then you only have one edge to get flush *

how much fall do you have on your former

Jay, hope you don't mind but I've split your post up above to make it easier for me to understand. The two lines with asterisks (*) I don't understand at all, the rest makes sense.

To answer your question about the former, there is probably less than 10mm. It is a Tilux former, and the creases run diagonally from corner to corner. The last time I fitten one of these I cut it envelope style and had the drain set square.

I am using 300 x 300 tiles and the former is 1200 x 1200, but with a diagonal cut across the back as the back wall is not straight.

I can see how the 45 degree waste help you here. If I did what you did the each crease would run from one corner to the other of the tiles near the waste. Whether I can get a decent fall without building up the adhesive I don't know without looking, should be able to .

C

cornish_crofter

Just had another look at your picture, I see what you mean with the last two lines.

With a square set waste I have 2 edges on each tile to get flush with the waste edges. This cannot be achieved as having the tile on a fall will result in the corner of the cut being slightly higher than the edges where the cut meets the good edges of the tiles.

However, with your 45 degree angled waste, there is only one edge to get flush.

I don't know if I can do this with the former I've got, I probably can. However, if you effectively tip the tiles in where they meet on the drain, don't you get tapered grout lines going towards your drain, or do you not notice?

Also, jsut out of interest, how did you cast your former? Did you lay 4 squares with the 4 meeting corners tipping towards the drain? The easiest way I could think of doing that would be to arrange a series of battens tilted to give you the required fall on each corner/quarter, then just cut the screed as you would do for a floor, then backfill where the battens come out with rapid set SPF. I guess you could probably do it by eye by now.

Last edited by a moderator:
J

jay

your starting to get it yes it takes time to get right heres an idea get some sand and level it off then place waste were you want best to be dead center as this helps getting even fall then screed the sand to get falls then with some old tiles try to lay them without enveloping using sand to pack up or remove to lower just as a trial it will surprise you how simple it is best to have waste center on 45 as for water puddling at waste it shouldn't
and tiles must meet center of waste

hope this helps try it and take some pics let us know how you go

with the waste on 45 mark lines over points of waste you should have strait lines meeting in center (so you have centered shower base both ways) paralleled to walls

the screeding of shower base will come with practice sort of hard to explain but perimitre of base should be level then slight fall in to waste

Last edited by a moderator:
C

cornish_crofter

your starting to get it yes it takes time to get right heres an idea get some sand and level it off then place waste were you want best to be dead center as this helps getting even fall then screed the sand to get falls then with some old tiles try to lay them without enveloping using sand to pack up or remove to lower just as a trial it will surprise you how simple it is best to have waste center on 45 as for water puddling at waste it shouldn't
and tiles must meet center of waste

hope this helps try it and take some pics let us know how you go

with the waste on 45 mark lines over points of waste you should have strait lines meeting in center (so you have centered shower base both ways) paralleled to walls

the screeding of shower base will come with practice sort of hard to explain but perimitre of base should be level then slight fall in to waste

The former I'm using is the preformed type and is already down. However it may not be out of the question to lay them like that using a bed of flexable adhesive. Previously when I've fitted one of these and got it slightly uneven, I've corrected it at tiling with a thicker bed of SPF where necessary.

On this job I've got Ditra matting down, which adds about 3mm to the height. I've got the problem of levelling this with the former as I thought I'd made sufficient allowance for it. So I will probably have more fall than the tile former had allowed if I need it.

I think I will lay the tiles out on the former before I do anything and see how it goes. The reason I was asking about the screeded falls in yours is because I may try that next time. Then I can just do the whole floor with Ditra or whatever is necessary and go from there.

I like to use battens/guides for screeds if I can. Recently I laid 3m cubed of concrete and got it almost mm perfect by laying it before I built up the walls above DPC level. I made a straight edge that gave me the right depth below the blockwork and two of us tamped it down, allowing the excess to flow into a ditch in front that we had dug out for a retaining wall in front of the conservatory. I also laid the screed on this job over the non wet area in much the same way using two battens each set to the fall I wanted.

Thanks for your help Jay. Your pictures have given me an idea. If it works it will actually mean less cutting, therefore less work.

C

cornish_crofter

yes thats correct for the position of the tiles only suggestion is to carry cutts to the internal corners of the shower room different styles different countries looks ok

The former that I was supplied for that job came as a 1200 x 1200, which I had to cut down to a 1200 x 900 to fit the area. I esentially just cut the tiles to suit the former. I do see what you mean though about taking cuts to the corners of the area.

That was a Tilus former as well.

Reply to Standard Wetroom Former Tile Cuts? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hi there, I’ve just joined the forum so hello to all. Im hoping some kind people can give me...
Replies
Views
This kitchen is not level as can be seen in the attached picture. From floorboard to kitchen...
Replies
Views
Sid2323
S

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Standard Wetroom Former Tile Cuts?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.