UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Stone Floor Lifting in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

Michael Coughlan

Hi all, I would really appreciate any opinions on the following scenario. Thanks in advance for any help.

House was 20 years old. It had a large hall with carpet on floor (50M2). Carpet was removed and concrete slab was exposed. It was dust free and dry but and reasonably level. Devi underfloor heating cable was installed and a 2 part latex screed poured over it. 2 days later large format marble tiles were installed using ardex flex 5000 white. Tiles were buttered, and fully bedded. 2 and 1/2 years on and several of the tiles are lifting. Hollow sound etc under them. I removed one today very easily using suction cups (after removing any remaining grout). Tile decoupled from adhesive bed easily. Adhesive bed was full ( no voids). The middle of the bed was swollen up in a slight curve which would explain why the tile was rocking on it. I used a kango hammer and removed the adhesive. It was rock hard. 90% of it was still bonded to the levelling compound. However when the compound was removed there was drips of water on the underside and the concrete floor itself was wet.

marble tiles were installed using ardex flex 5000 white. Tiles were buttered, and fully bedded. 2 and 1/2 years on and several of the tiles are lifting. Hollow sound etc under them. I removed one today very easily using suction cups (after removing any remaining grout). Tile decoupled from adhesive bed easily. Adhesive bed was full ( no voids).
might be a couple of problems including Hydrostatic pressure or rising damp affected the slc. Did the slc come away reasonably clean from the concrete?
the other question should be asked is why did the marble come away easily from the adhesive? The adhesive used here is ideal for damp areas so no problem there but has the moisture finally affected the marble itself. Now that you have this moisture has it and will it continue to affect the marble/adhesive bond? Some marbles do not like moisture at all and thats why the need for special adhesives for marble of which ardex flex 5000 is not.
Like Dave said you need to find out where the moisture is coming from. This can be achieved with the right equipment and expertise.
I would remove a few more of the affected tiles check for moisture and take some photos. Clean and dry the exposed concrete then get a professional in with the correct moisture meter to check the slab for moisture. They might even take up an unaffected tile to check for any pattern in the moisture affected area or perhaps even use thermal imaging equipment to check the extent of the moisture affected slab.
one other question, is there any white powdery substance in the joints and are there any unusual stains appearing through the marble? thats two sorry.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but when you solve the problem of where the moisture is coming from , it will take some time for the whole slab to dry out if it ever does. If the slc has blown now it may continue to for sometime. This is not just some bathroom floor that you could rip up and fix the problem, so i would strongly advise you to hire an expert in problems like this and can provide you with a comprehensive service. You dont want to go through and have to pay several "experts" when you only need one.
Perhaps one of the guys on TF has some experience with these issues or can recommend someone.
I live just a wee bit too far away to have a look for you as i've done a lot of insurance assessments and find these issues very interesting.
In the meantime as well as the others i'm sure, i will give your problem some more thought.:detective:

M

Michael Coughlan

Did the slc come away reasonably clean from the concrete? In general Yes but not totally. Bond between the adhesive and slc was fully intact though.

s it stone tiles or slabs,some marble has fibre glass resin on the back this can sometimes cause problem such as you describe . 60 by 60 by 20mm tiles and yes most of them had a plastic type backing with a square mesh design. I thought these are standard on marbles that are prone to breakage.

is there any white powdery substance in the joints and are there any unusual stains appearing through the marble? No, none

(btw, a name would be helpful) Sorry, Michael Coughlan. I just set up my account here recently in a quick mode to view posts. Now that I have posted myself a name would indeed be suitable. To that end I have contacted the admin of the site and they are going to change my user ID.

It appears that reinforced resin on the back of marble or any stone and tile requires an appropriate adhesive to ensure a good bond to the substrate.
Their does not appear to be any standards for the application of the resin backing so it is the responsibility of the installer to ensure that the correct adhesive is used.
The marble should have been fixed with an adhesive that is not only compatible with the substrate but also with the resin reinforced backing to the back of the marble tiles.
The adhesive required will depend upon what type of material has been attached to the back of the tile.
here is a link for a report on the subject of resin backed marble and stone http://www.laticrete.com/portals/0/tds/tds150.pdf

The problem you face now is twofold. A moisture problem that has reacted with the slc which has caused a dominoe affect by creating a secondary problem with the possible inadequatly adherred marble tiles:yikes:.
Once you solve the moisture problem, hopefully the secondary problem will resolve itself seeing that the marble has already been down for two and half years.
Has anyone seen this or heard of problems with the resin reinforcement on marble tiles? Apparently the backing is normally used on thin natural stone and marble. Also i know that the extra large format tiles between 3 - 5mm thick have this backing.
Is going to be a problem?
And will the industry require the more expensive adhesives be used to ensure adequate adhesion of the tiles?
What do you know and what are your thoughts on this guys?:8:

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Stone Floor Lifting in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I am wondering if someone would be able to help me out/explain something. We had a...
Replies
Views
This is my first time posting, I searched for a similar thread and didn't find much- apologies...
Replies
Views
Hello all, Hoping that once again I can get some good advice on here, you were invaluable when...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Stone Floor Lifting
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

Results are only viewable after voting.

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.