UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Stone profiling by Daz & Bri in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

Daz

Having had the pleasure of meeting with Bri today, I thought I would have a go at providing our step by step guide to edge profiling below....

Tools:
Makita variable speed grinder
Radius 10mm routing attachment with M14 thread
Polishing discs (200, 400 & 800 grit)

30560-img-0411.jpg
30561-img-0412.jpg
30565-img-0465.jpg

We first profiled the stone edge with the routing attachment.

30564-img-0464.jpg
30567-img-0468.jpg

Next was to polish the edge with a 200 grit diamond pad.

30566-img-0466.jpg
30568-img-0469.jpg

Then a 400 grit pad.

30569-img-0470.jpg
30570-img-0471.jpg

Then the 800 grit pad.

30573-img-0475.jpg

As you can see, it's a doddle!
The biggest issue is that the face of the stone becomes marked by the guide bearing on the routing attachment. I have overcome this by placing a polishing cloth on the tile face prior to routing so that the bearing does not actually come into contact with the tile face.

The pics in this guide were Bri's first stone profiling attempt so it's clear to see that anyone can achieve a great finish with the right tools and some care and attention - LOL.

Hopefully this will prove to be beneficial and inspiring for others.

Last edited by a moderator:
I

Ian

We had a bit of a discussion about that Dave, we were aware that it was designed to be done the other way round but without clamping the tile to the bench that was the best way to do it to enable the user to keep 2 hands on the grinder. When I get my own kit I'll practice and find a way that suits me and if necessary get some clamps to enable me to do it the other way. There's going to be a lot of dust and ruined trav!

G

Gazzer

I had a look at those kits Neale, the thing that put me off was the american plug, I assume you changed that yourself and was it easy enough to do?

Yup cut old one off and put new one one. Mine is 110 v. Also you have to realise that the spindle thread is not metric. Its 5/8 I believe but not really an issue as I would just get a new profiling bit or whatever from the USA again. If I thought I was going to be using it every day then I may consider a UK version .

D

Daz

You are using the profiler wrong :)
Run the wheel along the edge not the face

Sent from my iPhone

Yeah, I meant to mention in the original post that I realise the profiler should run along the edge, but I have found it difficult to control and to get an even finish that way. I have gained better results by using it the way in the pictures. I lay a polishing cloth over the face of the tile so that the guide wheel does not mark the tile and it works well for me.

Reply to Stone profiling by Daz & Bri in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Q
A customer asked me to lay a run of travertine window sill tiles with a half bullnose to match...
Replies
Views
The growing popularity of “Thin Porcelain Tile” Now that industry professionals have coined a...
Replies
Views
Rizzle from the Portizzle
R
J
this is the second bad batch of stone ive had from two different suppliers within a week. first...
Replies
Views
C
Wet Vs Dry polishing, which is better? We get asked this daily. There is really no definitive...
Replies
Views
Turkish tiler
T
C
More stuff in this week, one of these will be of more interest to the readership here than the...
Replies
Views
Dan s
D

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.