Discuss Suitable substrate to redo bathroom boxing-in? in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

A

adamwilde

Hello there.

We're having our bathroom redone along with some internal building work, and unfortunately we chose poorly when deciding who should do it. The builder (who is also a neighbour) made a poor job of the boxing-in for the back-to-wall WC and semi-countertop basin. And an even worse job of the tiling.

So, we're having the frame of the boxing-in reclad by a joiner and the tiling redone by another friend who is a tiler we've used very happily before.

The original builder used MDF for the boxing in, which concerned us (as did so many other thins along the way, but you live and learn). The joiner we're engaging to redo the boxing-in has suggested (and now purchased) moisture resistant MDF as an alternative substrate.

However, after he bought it I read somewhere that (a) it's not up to the job in this situation and (b) you can't tile onto it.
Our (new) tiler did some research and suggested Aquapanel from Wickes, but that's not suitable for loadbearing, and we're unsure about increasing the height of the boxing in with multiple substrates.

The boxing-in is at the opposite end of the bath to the shower, so should not be directly made wet, other than by splashing around the sink.

The joiner's due to do the work on Thursday, so any advice would be very gratefully received, as we're some weeks into this project now, and still feeling rather out of our depth.

Here are some pictures of the boxing-in as it stands, in case they're helpful:
boxing-in-l.jpg

boxing-in-r.jpg

Many thanks for your help.

A

adamwilde

Why would it need to be load bearing, the studwork should be taking the strain. Or have I mis-understood your post?

Forgive my ignorance: I figured it would partly be supporting the weight of the basin (?) and that it would need to support the weight of a person possibly leaning on the countertop while using the basin, but no one's going to be standing on it, so would the Wickes Aquapanel be sturdy enough for the job, do you think?

Otherwise, we should be able to get Hardibacker from a local supplier, I think.

A

adamwilde

I would be tempted to bring that boxing out a bit further if you have the room, it doesn't look like you've got much clearance behind the basin, going to be a pain to clean and finish off nicely.

Thanks for your thoughts on this. I'm of the same mind, but we've precious little room in the bathroom (the door already hits the toilet as it is). Hmm. We might reconsider, though...

C

Colour Republic

Forgive my ignorance: I figured it would partly be supporting the weight of the basin (?) and that it would need to support the weight of a person possibly leaning on the countertop while using the basin, but no one's going to be standing on it, so would the Wickes Aquapanel be sturdy enough for the job, do you think?

Otherwise, we should be able to get Hardibacker from a local supplier, I think.

It's not ignorance at all, you are right in that some minimal weight would be supported by the covering but it should be just that - minimal. I'm sure when your joiner takes off the MDF he will be able to tell if there is enough framework to take any weight and insure there is no flex in whatever covering you decide. If not, it should be easy enough for him to strengthen it.

Was the framework a bit loose and wobbly when it was built and the builder told you the MDF would tie it all in and and strengthen it?

C

Colour Republic

I don't think the framework was loose, but it sure wasn't square.

And this isn't even the worst of his work in there. By some margin. *sigh*

Sorry to hear that:thumbsdown:

Can I ask what flooring you have down? If it's tile what did he tile onto?

By the way I’d be another vote for aquapanel. Also if possible I would get the tiler to tile under the basin (so the basin sits on top of the tiles) rather than up to it but that is just personal preference

A

adamwilde

50mm!!! I hope you haven't got any small children that might get lost down there.

I know… It should be crime. I don't know if he and his plumber can't measure, or won't measure, or just didn't fancy it on the day. *shakes head sorrowfully*

journey-to-the-centre-of-the-earth.jpg

Ok last question I promise, Do you know what size ply he put down, how thick was it do you remember? You might be able to see at the door threshold if he hasn't covered it up

Whatever it is, it looks to be about 5-6mm thick.

C

CON5933

it looks like everybody's favourite on the floor...6mm ply:thumbsdown:
since you've already decided to put things right with the basin area, i'd suggest biting the bullet and get the tiler to re-do the floor..it sounds as if it's already failed (creaking tile?) which means the floor is flexing beneath it...
A good tiler would carry the right gear to drill the right sized holes for pipes etc...but they're not cheap, looks like the guy who done yours only had a 50mm tool, not sayin he's a bad guy or a cowboy...just not a tiler..
sorry you ended up in this situation, hope it gets sorted:thumbsup:

C

Colour Republic

Sorry to ask again, but if 6mm ply isn't up to the task, what should the substrate be? (It's going onto a first-floor wooden floor by the way.)

Get your tiler to look at it and give you his opinion on what would be best to use in your situation (would need to see more pics to give you info here), any flex in your floor will mean the tiles debond or maybe the grout cracks and water will find its way under the tiles. Felxible adhesive 'flex' to a certain degree but only a minimal amout, if the floor is bouncing it will fail.

Having looked at the photos again, is it possible to raise the boxing 20-30mm so it is level with the window reveal? giving you clearance all the way around the basin. Or would this mean the basin is at an unsuitable height?

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Suitable substrate to redo bathroom boxing-in? in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

We recently finished a bathroom renovation where the two builders who did the bathroom also did...
Replies
Views
I was quoted over £4700 (inclusive of VAT) to rip out and replace my bathroom. This does not...
Replies
Views
Hi folks, I've signed up to ask for some advice. I know you'll wince as I'm a try-hard DIYer...
Replies
Views
K
Hello, I am new to this site and seeking some advice on the tiling in our new bathroom. We are...
Replies
Views
Time's Ran Out
T
T
Working for a supplier, we get a few issues with batch variation. The complaints we get nearly...
Replies
Views
Old Mod
O

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB