Discuss Suppliers...and hello! in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

W

WRBathrooms

Hello everyone, first time poster here...

I've very recently (2 weeks ago) started my own bathroom business and will only be targeting customers who want full bathrooms supplied and fitted, with everything dealt with. Websites up and I have my subbies in place (long time known, good and reliable) and 2 bathroom suppliers with good trade discounts. Everything is in place except a tile supplier. Could anyone recommend a good supplier to the trade? My subby tiler uses Al Murad, but isn't really interested in supplying to customers, so he usually just sends them down to our local branch. Ideally I'd like a couple of suppliers with a brochure I can show or give to customers at the quoting stage. Who do you guys use? Any recommendations for a trade supplier nationwide or local to West Yorkshire?

All advice very much appreciated, so cheers in advance...

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Al Murad apparently have some fairly competitive prices on adhesives. Spoke to a tile supplier a few weeks ago that mentioned it.

Obviously keep in mind if you're supplying tiles and bathroom suites you're going to hit the VAT threshold quite quickly, if you're not VAT registered already.

A couple of threads that might help you out:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
What tilers used to do in my store was send the customers in with their measurements, we'd give them a quote on a couple of ranges they liked, let them take some samples away, the quote would be retail price.

Then the tiler would come in, order the ones they wanted at their trade price, and the customer would pay the retail price, or near to (tiler sometimes give a bit of a discount). So the tiler made some money on the tiles but the customer saved a bit too.

W

WRBathrooms

99% of customers will want to source and pick their own.

I'm specifically targeting customers who don't want to supply their own, particularly affluent, time poor customers. I'm not interested in customers who want to get overly involved (obviously I don't mind them checking in, it's their bathroom) and we never fit a customer supplied bathroom. The profit to hassle ratio just isn't something that we want to take on. We do everything, right down to ordering the skip and professional clean up and charge a premium to do it, if the customer wants their own sparky or joiner, then we don't do the job.

Response so far has been great and I've done a lot of market research beforehand...the customers are there and plentiful.

You hit the VAT threshold quick doing that though if you do plenty of jobs.

I already have two other businesses so VAT is already an issue, the types of customers I'm aiming for don't prioritise price when buying, so the added VAT won't be a problem.

The existing threads were very helpful and informative, thank you...I'll be visiting a few this week. Thanks very much for all comments, it's much appreciated.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
What tilers used to do in my store was send the customers in with their measurements, we'd give them a quote on a couple of ranges they liked, let them take some samples away, the quote would be retail price.

Then the tiler would come in, order the ones they wanted at their trade price, and the customer would pay the retail price, or near to (tiler sometimes give a bit of a discount). So the tiler made some money on the tiles but the customer saved a bit too.

Thats exactly what I do Dan, If I get near the VAT threshold I wouldn't supply from that point onwards just let the customer take a %age of my discount

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Thats exactly what I do Dan, If I get near the VAT threshold I wouldn't supply from that point onwards just let the customer take a %age of my discount
The shops got fussy in the end about giving a tilers discount if he wasn't there. So got a bit awkward.

Area managers rules V trying to keep your regulars happy.

Wasn't what I got paid for. I got out out there when I got my chance.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Works both ways. Tiler sends his customers to the shop. Shop sends theirs to tiler.

We used to spread the business the tile shop got to several tilers. And if they kept up a good job they'd make a lot of customers. And some wouldn't want their trade discount for that. Others did and they'd want more too. Cheeky beggars.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Suppliers...and hello! in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, looking for advice and what to do next. Have had main bathroom installed via a local...
Replies
Views
We had our loft bathroom done a month ago and are having issues with the tiler (recommended on a...
Replies
Views
Vinny Kehoe
V
G
Hi guys, sorry for long post, just after a bit of advice regarding my first proper complaint...
Replies
Views
Who's using Apex Grange? How are you finding them? They seem to have quite a fair bit of stuff...
Replies
Views
S
M
Hello anyone recommend a good travertine supplier? I know about PHG just interested in any...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB