Search the forum,

Discuss Tax return - claiming vehicle expenses or mileage in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
if i have a van that is used solely for work, then i claim all cost associated with that van, petrol/diesel, insurance, tax, parking,repairs etc, and then on top of that i claim capital expenses for depreciation

Don't think so but check with your accountant. I'm the same, my van is for work and everything associated with work. So everything that gets spent on the van is a cost to the business and is offset against tax payable

R

Rookery

Don't think so but check with your accountant. I'm the same, my van is for work and everything associated with work. So everything that gets spent on the van is a cost to the business and is offset against tax payable
Likewise. My accountant writes down the value of my van each year. You have to remember that once its written down to zero, anything you sell it for is taxable so when I part ex it, I'll get them to give me a quid for it and adjust the price of the new van accordingly.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
That's the thing..... I use mine half and half. You can either claim 45p per mile (this allows for all associated vehicle expenses) or expenses and fuel.

If that's the case then as far as I'm aware you have to record every time you use your van for business with the mileage you do i.e.

12/8/13 Home - Christchurch - Home 32 miles
13/8/13 Home - Christchurch - Poole - Home 41 miles

ETC ETC

You would then have a balance at the end of the month of how many miles were private and how many were business. Then check how much you spent on fuel that month.

You would then work out the %age of each and figure how much was spent on fuel for business and private use. The business use would then be used in your accounts as a business cost.

You would then need to work out (or your accountant) whether it is financially better for you to separate them like this or claim 45p per mile for business use. You may need to check out but I think if you go over a certain amount of miles the pence per mile comes down.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
That'll cost you, your accountant will have field day with his final bill....pay someone to do your bookwork.

don't worry whitebeam, i get charged monthly by my accountants cos i employ and have PAYE.
But when i go in year end they love me, im so so organised , it quite funny when she shakes her head and puts head in hands :)

Q

Qwerty

That is exactly what I do at the moment John. It works for me. The mileage is paid at 25p per mile after 10000 miles. I have worked out mileage is better as I don't want my van classed as a business asset as essentially it is a family vehicle too!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376294091.379033.jpg

Reply to Tax return - claiming vehicle expenses or mileage in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Make sure to mark a post as a solution for better transparency.

There are similar tiling threads here

• Question
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for cutting large format porc? Ive been relatively lucky up until recently and been able to cut most of...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a couple of years and the tiling business is going quite well but the book-keeper I was recommended...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The homeowner of the property I'm working on has just come to me and asked if anything can be done about...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in preparation for tiling. A couple of days after there's a lot of very fine cracks which have appeared, you...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe had worn away over the past 70 years, causing a small crack in the copper. A plumber/builder fixed...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement