Discuss Tesco Satnav. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

E

enduro

Tesco trials sat nav to guide us round the store

Sarah Coles
May 26th 2011 at 5:00AM
Filed under: Consumer Rights
dvtogetty33407860lr1.jpg
It's a bugbear for millions of people. Supermarkets get larger every day, and the layouts get ever more illogical and annoying. Clearly it's just not possible to place bread and milk within a half mile radius of one another - so that popping in for the basics becomes a 30 minute trudge around the aisles. Add in the fact that they keep moving products around in order to persuade us to use up even more shoe leather in their store, and it's easy to see why so many of us end up dazed and confused after the weekly shop.

However, this could be a thing of the past, as Tesco is trying out a sat nav.

The sat nav
The software, called Helping Hand, will come as an app - available on android phones. You will be able to input your shopping list, and from the second you step inside the shop it will guide you round the best route, to ensure a minimum number of steps to collect your shopping.

We don't know yet whether it will include a jaunty voice directing us and letting us know when we'll need to perform a trolley u-turn to correct our foolish overshooting. I'm sensing another career opportunity for our Tesco Couple: Mark Addy and Fay Ripley. Of course this could backfire if it catches on, and there's a cacophony of Mark Addys issuing conflicting directions to bemused shoppers. The alternative is hardly ideal either though, as hundreds of distracted shoppers will be crashing shopping trolleys as they peer at screens to know which way to turn next.

At the moment the app is on test at the supermarket's Romford Store - which may not necessarily be a safe place to shop if they haven't ironed out these kinks. If it's successful the app will be rolled out across the country, at which point they'll let us know how much it will cost us - and whether this is a cunning gimmick or yet another money-making opportunity for the supermarket giant.

So what do you think? Would you use an app? Or would you much rather they just put the things you need in sensible places and left them there? Let us know in the comments

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
I hate shopping that much that I tend to go in for about 10 things, get 'em, and get out. If I need another 10 things, it'll be in a few days time. :lol:

And just to note, I have the app as I thought it'd speed things up, but never used it after it took me longer to type in the shopping list than it did to buy the damn things inc traveling to and from the shops.

My mate apparently has his account stored on there and it suggests his shopping list based on his last shops, and he just removes stuff he doesn't need that week, and he gets it delivered every other week. So he doesn't do a physical shop at all and replaces his stuff he's got in on-going. I'd guess that's exactly what Tesco and the likes want you to do, and it's a wise move IMO. But I've never done the delivery thing. As much as I browse online, and even make online stores etc, I just can't quite bring myself to search for the common things I buy, such as shopping, music, video games, clothes, whatever. Over the years I've learnt to go and feel/see 'em and see what the score is, then buy 'em.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Tesco Satnav. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

TilersForums.com has been online since 2006 and we've had many designs, even three forum...
Replies
Views
Hey guys, I normally post over in diynot for general DIY but wrt tiling over timber I need some...
Replies
Views
Just Rizzle
J
TradeHero on the App Store - https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/tradehero/id1135389578?mt=8...
Replies
Views
O
As I'm currently tiling a large staircase I thought that the rules and regulations regarding...
Replies
Views
I thought I'd create a thread so we can link each other to the last thing we bought on eBay, so...
2 3
Replies
Views
anne_mutens
A

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Tesco Satnav.
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.