Discuss The boy's off tomorrow in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

Deleted member 9966

We don't have any family members in the forces but my husband's two friends from school were both Royal Marine Commando's when the invasion of Iraq and Afghanistan took place. Fortunately one has been forced to retire from service on grounds of ill health (he's broken every bone in his body and the MOD can't afford to repair him anymore :lol:) and the other is still in active service. It's difficult to listen to the news and hear about the latest tragedy and not know if it's someone you have known.

I have immense respect and admiration for anybody who chooses to fight for Queen and Country; I couldn't do it. But I do think it's time we were no longer in Iraq and Afghan.

M

mikethetile

why do you think that Liz

the reason our boys are there is because that is where the biggest threat to our safety is centred, they have to be there now more than ever

the reason we are losing so many men is becouse we dont have the troops to send, the us does and will be taking over the fight in helmund

our boys are doing sterling work over there and deserve all the respect and support we can give them

not to be told they are wasting their time and lives in a worthless cause, thats the biggest insult we can give to those that lost their lives or to the loved ones they left behind

D

Deleted member 9966

I think they shouldn't be there Mike because we are losing too many of our own. It shouldn't just be left to the British and American forces to sort out other countries problems. Other countries deserve to be involved. We've been there for long enough and the pain and distress it causes families and loved ones seems to go unnoticed by our government who keep on thinking we are doing the right thing. Just because we've been doing it for nearly 10 years doesn't mean it's still the right thing for us to be doing.

I personally don't think they are wasting their time but are we ever going to win? The Taliban and other insurgents will never give in. Everybody is fighting for what they believe in, and if the belief is strong enough, they won't back down.

M

mikethetile

the problem is Liz as you say they wont back down.......ever

this is not a case of un forces dabbling in other countries affairs and sticking their nose in where its not wanted. we are in a defensive position not an attacking position. france and germany pulled their forces out years ago but are still under threat of attack

the latest plot that was foiled was the mumbai style attacks on london. paris and berlin, they were to be simultanious and would have made the twin tower look tame by comparison

the plan was to enter buildings in each of the cities and seal of the lower floor trapping the office workers in the floors above and then over a period of time execute them one by one working their way up through the floors, you can only imagine what other attrocities would have occured. all the time they were doing this they would have ben making demands and holding other countries to ransom by threat of having cells waiting to activate in every other western country

fortunatly for us there is a network of anti terror officers working world wide yo counter these threats but its only a matter of time before one gets through and is successfull

al quada is is not against only the uk and us it is against all western civilisation on religous grounds and is oppossed to everything that we stand for and take for granted

if we lived in a taliban state we wouldnt be having this conversation as you would not be permitted to use a computor or talk to me, nor would you be permitted to leave the house without hubbies consent and you definatly wouldnt have a driving licence or a job. you would not be permitted to talk to a man other than your husband and no man could look at you so you have to be covered from head to toe

this is serious Liz andd is nothing to do with the us ingterfering or oil rights or any other tales put about by bleeding hearts. if it takes another 50 yrs to finish this then we will be in there protecting queen and country

and talking of the queen , she would be executed for being a woman in power

if they would have me I would be there fighting for my kids future, im just gratefull that we have so many brave young men to protect us and everything we stand for

I cried and hugged my mates lad when we saw him off from his do , those that say we shouldnt be there have no idea of whats really going on but fortunatly these lads know everything they are fighting for which is why they willingly go

S

SandyFloor

I personally believe the Afghanistan situation to be far more complex than most of us can even begin to understand. What nobody ever seems to ask is 'what if the coalition forces withdrew?' As I understand it the main income for the country was from opium sales and that's been taken away. And also what chance would a govenment have there that didn't reinstate the opium trade and wouldn't that leave the door wide open for the taliban again? And if the taliban had power again wouldn't we all be back to where it all started? I don't have a solution for this and I don't think anyone else does either. I think this could be going on a for a very long time.

M

mikethetile

I agree Sandy

the taliban is gaining power again in areas they were previosly driven from, the public stonings and sharia law has raised its head again

cameron in his conference speech today announced that our combat troops will be withdrawm no later than 2015 or in other words the afghan goverment will have less than five years to mobilise their army and gain control of their country from the taliban

as you rightly say this is a complex issue that has many levels but we are there at the request of the afghanistan government and we are defensive not offensive

Reply to The boy's off tomorrow in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Thought I'd best post in the Arms... One of the things that annoys me the most is unreliable...
Replies
Views
bugs183
B
T
There has been more major inventions came from the Scots than any other country in the World...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 1779
D
G
Ok so this was my 1st time having wanting to attend for years. Lots of my mates go each year and...
Replies
Views
Gazzer
G
L
Hi All This was my first job and I feel like I've been 10 rounds with Tyson. I started 2...
2 3
Replies
Views
faithhealer
F

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
The boy's off tomorrow
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.