Discuss What a crazy nightmare!!! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

pjtiler

With respect I don't personally see enough to reach that conclusion. I certainly think the job was too big/complicated for him as a new tiler, but that doesn't mean to say he's not got the potential.

If he ends up hating tiling then I would agree, but we're not there yet.
well mate the name of the game is earning a living and he wont sad but true

The best thing I can say is to not worry too much about it and definately use it as an experience to learn from. We can probably all relate to at least 1or2 things from all of our 1st jobs.

My 1st bathroom (walls & floor) took me 3 weeks to complete, at the time it was problem after problem - but looking back now - it was all standard stuff & i'd probably do the job in 2-3days now, but the main difference is that it was my Sisters, and not a paying customer. So i'd stick to friends and family first before trying to make a living from it.

J

jimshatner

Mate, I feel your pain! And judging by the number of responses to your post I think it brought back a lot of unhappy memories to a lot of tilers. Hopefully it will never be as hard as that again. It can be a harsh learning curve at times, especially with the responsibilty of having someone's home at your mercy and a customer watching over you (however understandably) can make you make mistakes you otherwise wouldn't .

Somebody said about not practicing on somebody's home, but I have to say that despite thorough training I felt that nothing fully prepared me for every eventuality, and the reality of being in someone's home. Only by doing it and making mistakes and learning from them (as long as you can spot them and correct them in time) can you improve and gain confidence.

I don't know your circumstances but if you know of an experienced tiler you could try and hook up with, you could learn an awful lot without the pressure of it being entirely your responsibility. You might not get paid very much at first and have to do a lot of grouting but you will get a chance first hand to witness how he/she sets out, prepares, or skillfully gets someone else to do the plumbing and taking the bottom off the door!!:lol: You can still do the odd job for yourself such as a small floor or splashback. If you don't know of one then perhaps try contacting a few, tell them your position and ask if they need an assistant. I even did this for free on a couple of jobs so I could learn (but don't make a habit of it!)

Discover what tools are out there to help make the job quicker, easier and more accurate. Take nothing forgranted, plan, measure and prepare thoroughly, it will save time in the long run, eventually you will trust to this and it will seem like second nature. Know where every tile is going to fall before starting, it may seem like ages before you lay a single tile but once you do they will go up much quicker if you aren't having to keep adjusting. Following old tiling lines can be deceptive, don't automatically assume it was done correctly first time round.

If anything that you haven't been trained in or you don't feel you can safely learn to do on site, such as carpentry and plumbing, you might be better off telling the customer that they need to get those trades in separately. For instance you might want to consider asking the customer if they could make sure the toilet and sink are removed before you come, in order to achieve the best finish. You may lose a job or two but otherwise you otherwise risk having a plumbing incident, cracking pipes water leaking etc. if you're not sure what you are doing. A disaster if you're not fully insured and you don't know where the stop **** is. Often this removal will need to be done anyway as raising the height of the floor will often require raising the height of sinks and cysterns. Hopefully you will eventually become acquainted with a trustworthy plumber who you could work with. You could do his tiling and he your plumbing.

I will only lay tile backing boards on the floors as I don't carry carpentary tools and they are easy to cut and fit using a blade rather than a saw, plus most plywood sheets wouldn't fit in my car. When visiting a job you could specify that the floor needs to be boarded out before it can be tiled for which they will need a carpenter. You could then say that you don't carry carpentary tools but could board it using tile backing boards which are more expensive but will save them the trouble of having another trade involved. I suggest this to keep what you have to chew to a minimum until you are more experienced.

I know a very good tiler who turns up with only a bucket full of tools and says that he only has the tools for tiling! I'm not sure I would fully recommend this approach but he is never short of work. What I'm saying is, that it might be best to concentrate on your strengths. If you are better at tiling but lack the experience in the other areas, then get your tiling up to scratch. The other stuff will follow if you want it to. Hopefully you will get repeat business because you tiled well, not because you took the sink off!

I'm rambling but I'm sure you know all this. I envy you finding this site so early on though. I've only just discovered it. I used to have to phone tile shops, and receive countless unhelpful emails from the Tile Association telling me to buy dull British Standard tomes before I finally found somewhere to get such technical and moral support that I didn't have to pay for.

Best of luck old chum. I wish my wife would help me like that sometimes:grin:

J

jimshatner

i think your in the wrong business Lawrence
sorry bud

Is one job enough to make such a sweeping statement? Should anyone who make mistakes on there first job give up? His biggest mistake was taking on too big a job for his first one.

He is obviously approaching this site to get help to carry on. Knocking his confidence won't achieve that. Although proving the knockers wrong might conversly show he has the metal to rise above it. So in a sense you might be doing him a favour!

CJ

TF
Arms
Somerset
You have to know your capabilities. It is not worth taking on more than you can honestly handle.

Try and do the family & friends route to gain more experience and more inportant, "Confidence" to tackle the bigger more complicated jobs.

You HAVE to gain more experience before you can start charging customers there hard earned Money.

We have all been there........first job nerves, you want to get it perfect in your own mind......and that takes time.....however long.

To many newbies are hung up on speed, and then try to rush when they feel it is taking tooo long. As constantly mentioned in here........."Speed comes with experience"

Sit down and think about the whole tiling package.............and then, and only then start out in a small way.

Soapbox is back in the cupboard now :grin:

B

bigandy

Am sure we have all had one of those jobs at sometime in our early carrers, i know i did.

the main thing is you learned a valuable lesson.

if you go pricing a job up and it looks like it may be to much for you yet,just put a stupidly high price in.if they stil pick you pay someone more experianced than yourself to do it.(just make sure they do it properly as its still your reputation.(i did this for a few of my apprentices when they bit a bit too much off.i made money they carried on learning)

jsut try to keep the jobs small for now and gradually build yourself up as your skill and confidence grow.

L

Lawrence147

Hi Guys

Thanks for all the help and advice you have given me.

I finished the job yesterday afternoon and have some pics which I will upload and put on here later on.

This has been a major career move for me so as I was earning peanuts doing admin work before this but have wanted to be self employed for some time. I spent a lot of money on training, tools, advertising, etc (advert on Yell) Despite this learning experience and the current climate, I am still keen to carry on (when my fingers heal!!), although I am taking on some temp work atm to supplement my income.

The problem was that when I approached family and friends nobody was interested at the time. I have had to go out there and try to prove myself. I'll just know next time to more accurately price and time a job as big as this, if I decide I want to take it on at all. I do have another tiler I can speak to here regarding taking work off me.

I did turn down a job last week where the cust needed the plasterboard replaced as water had got behind the 6 month old grout (possibly not using flexible addy and grout) and was looking at mosaic over about 4m2 (way too much for me).

But I pick up things fairly quickly so was able to put the pedestal and toilet, and the other attachments back on the new tiles and I know how to deal with these again, if I need to.

I don't think it help that the cust was expecting me to be in and out without much fuss on this big a job, which we all know wasn't going to happen..

The main thing is I DID learn loads off this and will put all the info to good use in later jobs.

Cheers again.

I'll put the pics up in a while.

Lawrence.

C

cornish_crofter

Lawrence - thanks for taking the time and trouble to update us.

I assume the customer is happy with the job, so you'll get paid ok. If the jobs a gooden he'll have had a bargain.

I would suggest that you may want to work alongside that tiler for a few jobs if nothing else - you'll pick up some valuable knowledge.

Whilst working in a day job I had a chap working alongside me evenings and weekends renovating a 1 bed cottage. His day job is working for a buildng firm. I learned so much about general building.

A plumber I know helped me with my own CH system, and he taught me loads of skills.

Now I am working as a handyman, but most of my work seems to be in bathrooms.

Reply to What a crazy nightmare!!! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
What a crazy nightmare!!!
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.