Discuss The How did you start out Thread! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

A

Aston

i used to help my dad during the school hols during the early 80's. my old man was a time served tiler and terrazzo layer. he served his time with italians and he worked for quilligotti's in manchester (phil hobson territory ;0) i went down the plastering route in 1985 but i would labour on him doing his cuts, grouting and stone prep work. i finished serving my time and worked on the sites and went back to college to do an hnc in building studies (same as doug ;0) ....

between 2004-5 i set up with my dad to open a tiling business. there were still grey areas for me to learn but he got ill (alzheimers) and i went alone. i did 2 short tiling courses and worked on sites with a few goods real time served tilers and then just recently ie yesterday lol decide to stick to the plastering and render systems because the poor old tiling game is getting a right old shafting and its a damn shame because a good fixer who can render, screed and tile is a dying breed...

i got my knowledge through any source i could get. college, site, courses, books anything as long as it got me where i wanted.

one thing i will say to any newbie...dont let anybody tell you that this is an easy game!! because it isnt. theres a hell of a lot to it to learn and it takes a good few years to crack it, so if a course tells you you can learn it in 4 weeks (and they will ;0) tell them to go and prove it to dave, gooner, dean0, neale, phil, raytt, garythetiler, timeless john and any other real pro whos done it the real way

Last edited by a moderator:
i used to help my dad during the school hols during the early 80's. my old man was a time served tiler and terrazzo layer. he served his time with italians and he worked for quilligotti's in manchester (phil hobson territory ;0) i went down the plastering route in 1985 but i would labour on him doing his cuts, grouting and stone prep work. i finished serving my time and worked on the sites and went back to college to do an hnc in building studies (same as doug ;0) ....

between 2004-5 i set up with my dad to open a tiling business. there were still grey areas for me to learn but he got ill (alzheimers) and i went alone. i did 2 short tiling courses and worked on sites with a few goods real time served tilers and then just recently ie yesterday lol decide to stick to the plastering and render systems because the poor old tiling game is getting a right old shafting and its a damn shame because a good fixer who can render, screed and tile is a dying breed...

i got my knowledge through any source i could get. college, site, courses, books anything as long as it got me where i wanted.

one thing i will say to any newbie...dont let anybody tell you that this is an easy game!! because it isnt. theres a hell of a lot to it to learn and it takes a good few years to crack it, so if a course tells you you can learn it in 4 weeks (and they will ;0) tell them to go and prove it to dave, gooner, dean0, neale, phil, raytt, garythetiler, timeless john and any other real pro whos done it the real way
Quilligotti,s now that,s a name from the past my old tiling firm used to get them in to do supermarket floors,would help them polish the floors I loved doing that job.

Reply to The How did you start out Thread! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
The How did you start out Thread!
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.