Discuss The worlds worst anti-slip tiles (in my opinion), and how to clean them. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

Gazzer

Thanks Sir Ramic, never heard of Machine Mart. Did a search and found a branch about 5 miles from where i'm working tomorrow! also did a search on their web for 'brick' and 'acid' but only found Nilfish brick/stone & wood cleaner 2.5l £14.39 is this the right stuff? Cheers Sean

Dunno, I bought some a while back and it was just called brick acid /cleaner about £7 for 5ltr

tommyzooom

TF
Arms
Ireland
Sean,
Take a deep breath and relax, I'm sure you could clean that yourself if you have the right materials.
First forget about the DIY sheds and get yourself to a proper builders merchant for some heavy duty cement remover or brick acid. It will probably say to dilute it down to 5:1 or something, but you may need to keep it a stronger mix,
As has been said, don't let it dwell too long on metal trims though, I would maybe try the acid on an offcut of trim just in case

Thats how I cleaned mine, neat in a spray bottle and a scrubbing brush (I didn't tile it originally btw)

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Ruislip
Thanks Tommyzoom, I'm just collecting info on the web about all these acids, and their different names and strengths. It's a minefield. We only sell 'high strength' acid, but they don't tell you the strength!! I don't want to keep buying stuff that does not work. Gisela's web link sells acid for £10 with £20 p&p. The cleaning guy said he could sell his 'high strength' acid to me for £60. I don't mind paying £100 if the stuff works. You are quite right Tommyzoon, having the right materials is the key to this dilemma. Cheers for your advice. Hopefully I will be posting a success story in a few days time.

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Ruislip
Thanks Lucius, I decided to opt for the £60 5l bottle of very strong acid off the cleaning man. I went to a builders merchant but could only find patio cleaners with 'acid based' on the label. I bought some tight goggles and long gloves and a respirator. I guess I must go out again to get a bristle brush. Cheers Sean

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Ruislip
I'm busting a gut to try and help this woman. I re-arranged other work so that I could start cleaning her tiles today. I bought the safety equipment etc, and I bought the acid. I got a call last night at 20:00 from the woman who told me that it was not convenient for me to work at her home this weekend! I really feel this woman is mucking me about big time. I picked up the acid this morning. The label says 'Clean Tile & Grout Ltd' 20-25% phosphoric acid. 5l cost me £60. I'm looking at ebay and finding 40% acid for a lot cheaper! The thing is I had to buy it in a hurry for today. She said I can only come over next weekend

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Ruislip
Have you not got a few tiles you can try it on before attacking the job full on ?
I did have a tile that a I gave to the cleaner man. He used his acid and got the tile clean. However, I think that's a good idea Sir Ramic. Hopefully they still have a load of offcuts at the side of their house. Cheers Sean

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to The worlds worst anti-slip tiles (in my opinion), and how to clean them. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, i took some jobs as a contractor for some MC Donald's restaurants but i find it quite...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have had both polished and matt textured wood effect tiles laid in my house and am having...
Replies
Views
Hello, I recently lifted some modern tiles to reveal the original Victorian Tiles (Actually...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Sean Kelly

Arms
TF
Ruislip

Thread Information

Title
The worlds worst anti-slip tiles (in my opinion), and how to clean them.
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.