Discuss Thinking about starting tiling in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

chris_h

HI all

Well I shall introuce myself first, I am Chris, aged 20 and from the Manchester area.
As the title says, I am thinking about becoming a tiler! I did my work experience as a tilers assitant (mixing, cutting, grouting and making the brew) for a relative and did it on and off for 2 years, say, once a month. That was before I moved on at looking at a different career path before the height of the credit crunch hit.

Now we are in the present, I have realised that tiling is actually enjoyable, in fact, the most rewarding job I have done to date, which is why I wish to become the tiler, rather than his assitant.

The only problem is, where to start. I am aware I need some dosh sat around to provide myself with a decent training course, equipment, marketing and some new wheels. All I have stashed away is 4 grand, which is not impossible to do, but leaves me little left for a rainy day.

To those experienced tilers and those in the know;
Is there a good training centre in the North West? or should I go further, to say, NETT?
How much is a good amount to get started with?

I am aware that the tiling is easy, selling yourself is the key. I have many useful contacts who could sell my case, and I would even do some work for free to start with!

Cheers all

Chris

Del W

TF
Arms
Canterbury
Welcome to TF. Cant help you with training in your part of the world.
Get plenty of hands on work with a local tiler if possible before you go all in as self employed. Its tough out there at the moment.

"I am aware that the tiling is easy " Err, no its not.

Good luck.

R

Rich

HI all

Well I shall introuce myself first, I am Chris, aged 20 and from the Manchester area.
As the title says, I am thinking about becoming a tiler! I did my work experience as a tilers assitant (mixing, cutting, grouting and making the brew) for a relative and did it on and off for 2 years, say, once a month. That was before I moved on at looking at a different career path before the height of the credit crunch hit.

Now we are in the present, I have realised that tiling is actually enjoyable, in fact, the most rewarding job I have done to date, which is why I wish to become the tiler, rather than his assitant.

The only problem is, where to start. I am aware I need some dosh sat around to provide myself with a decent training course, equipment, marketing and some new wheels. All I have stashed away is 4 grand, which is not impossible to do, but leaves me little left for a rainy day.

To those experienced tilers and those in the know;
Is there a good training centre in the North West? or should I go further, to say, NETT?
How much is a good amount to get started with?

I am aware that the tiling is easy, selling yourself is the key. I have many useful contacts who could sell my case, and I would even do some work for free to start with!

Cheers all

Chris

:lol: Got a fair bit to learn Im guessing. Tiling is a piece of cake to do badly, incredibly hard to do well (there is more to tiling than miking it look pretty). I cant be much help regarding a course but might be worth looking at our sponsors.

Do your course and your first job and then re read the easy comment.

If you do a search on here, there are loads of threads about people starting up, spend a few hours on here swatting up.

Oh and welcome to the forum.

Y

yogi19

hello,

i think 4grand is enough to get you started, i did a course which set me baack about 700 this was a two week course. at the end they say they help you train towards an nvq2 at the end of it not heard much on that front but a good course not sure if they do training up your end though. once youve got all your tools and van sorted like you said its about getting your name out there its hard to build a good reputation but easy to get a bad one ! ! ! just go round the big sites round your way and ask for the tiling contractors numbers and give em a ring see if they can help you get some straight forward work to start off with.

All the best though

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Hi and:welcome: Nick Knowles is a dirty name on this forum, tiling is soooo easy, if you want to appear on TF hall of shame.

In this very tricky climate, there are some very highly skilled people finding things hard. I would not want to be starting out now.

It is so easy to listen to the sales pitch of the people who promise the earth with a new career in tiling. I would advise anyone thinking of going down this route to read this months issue of Tile & Stone Journal, a guy called Alan Reynolds. This guy is a pro, (old school) like me. He makes a lot of sense imo:thumbsup:

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Thinking about starting tiling in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi I am thinking of training to gain city and guilds on weekends I’m just wondering is there...
Replies
Views
Hello I'm new to tiling my first flooring job it's 42sqm in 600x 200 floor tiles (wood effect)...
Replies
Views
Morning All! I thought it was about time to start a new Good Morning Thread. The old thread can...
Replies
Views
Hello, first post, asking about career change and possible entry route into the industry. I know...
Replies
Views
Hi All - I am searching for Todagres Aral Beige Pulido tile (large format - 32"x32"/ 120cm x...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Thinking about starting tiling
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.