UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Tile Adhesive Testing - Strength in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

Protilers

Evening.......

just back from work and a little tired.....so I will keep this short and sweet......

there is not a newbie or even a tiler on this forum that would attempt to tile a floor with sand and cement slurry....modified or not......in fact most of this forums members (and all the other forums for that matter) have never been introduced to an irish tumble drier......and that is a fact!....take it to the bank......

this aside......everything you have said I agree with (in principal) due to the fact that adhesive manafactures have been telling us this for years.....and as I have never gone round to mrs smiths house and laid an unmodified slurry and sand and cement screed and then bedded in porcelain tiles........I dont truly know the outcome of what will happen........but i have been "told" it will fail for many years.........
but here is an opertunity to see what "really" happens.........and thats it......nothing more nothing less.........

it is a light hearted test.......no white coat required...... you may even get a minute or two's amusement out of it!

best wishes

Lee.

P

Protilers

I read it fine.....and your post implies that you know the answer as a FACT.....and therefore YOU HAVE DONE IT......MORE THAN ONCE........AND IT FAILED........hence your post......

Me....I have never done it...and therefore I dont know....(and nor do your members!) and that is the reason for Ray going in and making it happen........ nothing more nothing less.......

I thought everyone would say "cant wait to see what happens"..........

but some peeps obviously have an experience others do not.........

nite nite!

Lee.......

P

Protilers

i can tell you now to save you waiting for you results.
the porcelain tile that has been fixed in sand and cement without a modified slurry will be the weakest bond because the neat cement and water cannot penetrate the virtually 'non porous' body of the porcelain. ps the quartz tile might be up there too!! for different reasons..

the chemical reaction will take place as it does with hydration, the slurry will absorb into the sand and cement bed no worries and fuse but it wont do the same so well on the porcelain tile and therefore creating a ''weaker bond''...this has been established for years and years in the tile industry. if you fix pocelain tiles in sand and cement, you modify the slurry and insome cases modify the sand and cement.

you can slurry the porcelain tiles in sbr and cement or a suitable porcelain adeshive prior to bedding them..thats how its done.

ps, i am not doing this post to teach ray how to suck eggs, he's an experienced tiler whos probably forgotten more than i know, its just for any new forum member who might think its ok to treat porcelain the same as ceramic thats all ;0)

great thread lee and i know this test was a bit last minute thing so dont think i am pulling holes in it because i am not, i am glad you and ray are on here and i mean that.

???????

A

Aston

here you go lee
porcelain tiles laid on sand and cement with modified slurry .....
http://www.tilersforums.com/job-month-forum/58629-jotm-may-2012-a.html

just to recap for you so there's no more misunderstanding?
1. IF laying porcelain tiles on sand and cement, IMO, I would modify the slurry because of the density of the porcelain tile so that theres more bond.
2. I now fully understand that ray deliberately ''did not modify the slurry for the test'' because he wanted to do it the old way, i get this now.. my sincere apologies for that misunderstanding

This thread has become a bit argumentative between you and me and thats not what i intended. this is the downside of text, it can get misunderstood, so i will leave it there now and end it on a civil note....end of from me ;0)

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Spud

I wasn't too bothered about this test but Ray and Lee and Andy went to the bother of spending time doing it and creating this video... so we await the out come..

Ray/Lee.. who is going to be trying to knock the tiles up after the tensile setting time.. 28 days was it ray said..? and will this be filmed as well.. if so i look forward to seeing it.
August the 2nd is D day and I have been told all are welcome to witness the test results ,I am going to bring a crate of stella and cant wait to see Branty chopping up the white star it should be a good laugh ,although it may be best to get a non tiler to chop them up and give his or her opinion on which one was the most difficult to remove

P

Protilers

I have absoulutly no interest in wasting any of you guys time.........and like Dave said "we have put in all the effort" if you lot could do the same imagine the forum you woulld have!!!!!!!!......
and ED......I understand....I get misunderstood all the time......forums sometimes make words seem.....agressive......and I do hope that is not the case with myself....nothing is taken personally.........

But you need to be aware I post on forums to promote my business.....and I hide nothing in my posts......they are from start to finish............and as honest as the day is young.....
most times I would be happy with a thanks for your time type post........but if you feel that I need to learn something from you......pm me........I never stop learning!

but by the same token I cant wait for you to get a team together and post a vid for me to watch......it will be great for me personally........

nite nite.....

Lee......

this aside for the moment......watch the vid....its a giggle....and the bashing will also be fun............

but

A

Aston

no worries lee
its all good ;0) i dont have any problem with you, if i did, then i wouldnt have recommended you back on the forum.
looking backing on my posts on this thread, they can read a bit pedantic. i apologise to you and to raytt if thats how i came across.
i hope you do keep posting because your videos are great, especially the one with the ann sacks tiles were you pulled your labourers pants down lol

anyway, maybe its me that needs a break form forums
so best of luck ;0)
ed

T

The D

it was the initial challenge that set it off Dave, I won't go into details.

It all started on another forum when a BAL rep suggested that White star will gave a stronger bond than any single part flex adhesive out there. So I said I will put it to the test. But then it all got a little bit nasty over there over me liking a post from another member. All a bit playground really but the up shot was I asked for my account to be removed. I am so glad ray took up the challenge and he has done a better job of it than I would have. I am also grateful that lee has taken the time to post it on this forum so we can all see the results. Just to clarify I have no axe to grind regarding the test I just wanted to know if the reps statement was accurate.

R

Rizzle from the Portizzle

It all started on another forum when a BAL rep suggested that White star will gave a stronger bond than any single part flex adhesive out there. So I said I will put it to the test. But then it all got a little bit nasty over there over me liking a post from another member. All a bit playground really but the up shot was I asked for my account to be removed. I am so glad ray took up the challenge and he has done a better job of it than I would have. I am also grateful that lee has taken the time to post it on this forum so we can all see the results. Just to clarify I have no axe to grind regarding the test I just wanted to know if the reps statement was accurate.
well we had to test that.we done the test for you glad you will see the out come if you have time would be great to see you at the chopping up

P

Protilers

Dean...why dont you come down on the chop up?.......i will bring the sarcasim and camera.....after all.....ITS ALL YOUR FAULT!

hhhhheehhhehehehe......all joke's aside...you are all welcome.....all of you....come down...get filmed.......can only make the forums "stronger"..............and we can all meet up......in the real world.........how can that hurt?

Lee.

Last edited by a moderator:
P

Protilers

myself and ray will witness each supplier chopping up each others tiles ....I.e....danny (bal) will chop up the keracoll......and John will chop up the bal.....etc.....

come down...one and all.....worst case senario....you can learn a thing or two about porcelthin tiles..............Ray........pull the cheque book out.....I hope this will be used as staff entertainment on a large scale!

Reply to Tile Adhesive Testing - Strength in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I'm having a nightmare trying to establish product info from distributors. For example...
Replies
Views
Hi everybody, I've come up with a new way that I'd like the forum to work. I've built a quick...
Replies
Views
Hi, Looking for advice mainly on how much adhesive I should remove from between the tiles in a...
Replies
Views
Hi, first time posting. I’m in the middle of tiling my own bathroom, first time having a go at...
Replies
Views
Shower Tile Repair - Tile Waterproofing in Brownstown MI. Schluter wet room conversion 24h...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.