Discuss Tile backer and adhesive queries in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

Ryaneb85

Hi all, I posted last night about whether I need to use a tile backer on top of the 18mm chipboard flooring I have down in my bathroom. The answer was yes.

The question is now, what is the best tile backer to use?

If you didn't see my previous post, I have removed the old floorboards, laid 18mm water-resistant tongue & groove chipboard and added lots of extra noggins for extra strength/minimal movement.

I know you can get Hardiebacker from Topps Tiles, but I have also seen No More Ply mentioned numerous times in the forum. Which is the best out of these two, or is there no real difference? Is it possible to buy No More Ply in any local stores such as Wickes etc. as I need to get hold of some tomorrow so delivery is not an option.

When I bought my tiles the guy at the tile shop told me I could tile straight onto the chipboard as long as I used 2-part superflex adhesive, which I purchased. If I put down Hardiebacker or No More Ply do I still need to use the 2-part superflex adhesive to fix the tile backer to the chipboard? If not, could you please recommend which adhesive would be suitable.

With the Hardiebacker/No My Ply down, what adhesive do I need to use to put Procelain tiles on top?

Sorry for all the questions, just want to get the job done properly once and not have to take it all up again due to cracked tiles etc!

Thanks

D

Daz

The fixing techniques differ for Hardiebackers & NMP.
For Hardie backer boards, it is recommended to use a flexible cement based adhesive to take out any voids and also screw them at approx 200mm centres.
For NMP, it is recommended to use their "mega strength" polyurethane adhesive underneath and along the edges with 8 screws per board.

Personally, I prefer Hardie boards but from experience I would say that the NMP does add a small amount of rigidity to a floor.

Out of interest, what tiles are you intending to install?

S

Stewart

No more ply can be fixed using SPF addy too just the same as Hardie and SPF addy is fine to fix tiles on top. a couple of pics of how I do it...

6d9913a1-732d-df9f.jpg
6d9913a1-734f-27f5.jpg

Reply to Tile backer and adhesive queries in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

• Friendly
I'm going to be installing Marmox multi boards, on two (internal walls) I'll use 4mm, just so I...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
I'm having a nightmare trying to establish product info from distributors. For example...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Tile backer and adhesive queries
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.