Search the forum,

Discuss Tile backer board under the shower tray or upto the tray? And shower tray installation method? in the Tanking and Wetrooms area at TilersForums.com.

J

JaonsS

hello

The floor is 18mm WBP Ply fixed to the floor joists.

Is it best to fit the hardie backer board over the whole floor, and then fit the shower tray onto the backer board, or fit the tray onto the ply floor then butt the backer board upto the edge of the tray?

Also, the tray instructions say to fit the tray onto minimum 18mm Ply using a sand and cement mix.
Ive only ever fitted trays onto a sand and cement mix but I see quite a few posts of people using tile adhesive and some even using silicone/nonails.
Whats the best way to fit the tray to either the ply or the backer board? Stick with the sand/cement method or go with tile adhesive?

gamma38

TF
Reaction score
I wouldn't put backboard under the tray. Tile adhesive is my choice to bed the tray. As above sand/cement is too thin. Most important thing is to make sure the floor is sound with no movement.

Chalker

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Fit the backer boards after fitting the tray. This, when boarded and tiled, will make the tray look nice amd low. You can fit most trays with tile adhesive ( I do) powdered flexi. Put silicone on the edges that go against the wall. Make sure you prime the floor and back of tray. Only use silicone to stick down if the floor and tray are perfectly flat.
When fitting the backer boards, keep them a few mm from the tray and fill the gap with silicone. This will stop the boards from squeaking! When there is any movement. ( there should be none! But do it anyway)

D

Dumbo

hello

The floor is 18mm WBP Ply fixed to the floor joists.

Is it best to fit the hardie backer board over the whole floor, and then fit the shower tray onto the backer board, or fit the tray onto the ply floor then butt the backer board upto the edge of the tray?

Also, the tray instructions say to fit the tray onto minimum 18mm Ply using a sand and cement mix.
Ive only ever fitted trays onto a sand and cement mix but I see quite a few posts of people using tile adhesive and some even using silicone/nonails.
Whats the best way to fit the tray to either the ply or the backer board? Stick with the sand/cement method or go with tile adhesive?
I have fitted a shower tray to a flat floor using silicone and it has failed . Ie cracked not had that yet with Tile adhesive . Although floor maybe flat not all shower trays are perfectly flat on the back . Recommend doing dry fit first the checking ĺevel with spirit level to see where you may need to use slightly more adhesive.

D

Dumbo

Bloody multitraders, fitting shower trays, whatever next... :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:
If I could I would not get involved in any remedial work or installation of of other products and just Tile. I don't even like installation of ufh

Kyle Knowles

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I'm guilty of sticking a tray or 2 down even fitted a few shower screens and built a few boxing ins sometimes u gotta do what u gotta do

Reply to Tile backer board under the shower tray or upto the tray? And shower tray installation method? in the Tanking and Wetrooms area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen