Discuss Tile cutting woes in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

Pompey Monkey

Hi,

I'm tiling a "wet" area around my shower tray but I'm having a real problem cutting the 330mm ceramic tiles.

Every time I try to snap a tile, the break veers off away to the side - And it's always the same side!

I started off with a wickes tile cutter - the first twenty or so snapped fine, and then I went through a whole box with the snap veering off in the same direction at more or less the same place. I didn't know if it was my technique or the cheap tool so I went an bought a Rubi Pocket 50

Initially the Rubi was a pleasure to use! light scoring and a perfect snap every time! :) But after about twenty cuts, the exact same problem is happening. The frustration is unbelieveable! :yikes:

Is it me? is it the cheap wickes tiles? is the cutting wheel wearing out?

The fact that the symptom is the same every time seems to discount the tiles being the cause and I would guess that a cutting wheel should be good for more than a couple of dozen tiles! So that leaves it down to me being the problem!

I have watched several online videos, but have not seen this issue being mentioned. Help me please!

P

Pompey Monkey

sorry and only score the tile once ,dont keep running the wheel over and over,may help

Yes - I know to just score once, but thank you anyway - I may not have known this and sometimes the blinding obvious to you may not be so apparent to me :)

I have bought a new wheel and it is working ok again. Is it normal for it to become no good after just a couple of dozen scores? I would have thought it would last a bit longer!

Thanks for helping :)

Probably cheap tiles and technique tbh . Just one even pressure scribe should do the trick ( imagine rolling a ball of plasticine in your hand , not so hard you squash it , but not so little pressure you don't change the shape ) , also keep the bars lubricated , it makes the whole process a lot easier.
It shouldn't be the wheel , I'm been using the Star plus 50 for 5 mths on a site scribing porcelanosa floor tiles ( porcelain ) and barely had an issue , for the record i'm using a 6mm wheel on them works a treat. Also make sure the wheel is set at a workable angle as this can make a difference too , just play with it a bit.

Cheers

Diggy

beanz

TF
Berkshire
Probably cheap tiles and technique tbh . Just one even pressure scribe should do the trick ( imagine rolling a ball of plasticine in your hand , not so hard you squash it , but not so little pressure you don't change the shape ) , also keep the bars lubricated , it makes the whole process a lot easier.
It shouldn't be the wheel , I'm been using the Star plus 50 for 5 mths on a site scribing porcelanosa floor tiles ( porcelain ) and barely had an issue , for the record i'm using a 6mm wheel on them works a treat. Also make sure the wheel is set at a workable angle as this can make a difference too , just play with it a bit.

Cheers

Diggy

amen to that!

Hi,

I'm tiling a "wet" area around my shower tray but I'm having a real problem cutting the 330mm ceramic tiles.

Every time I try to snap a tile, the break veers off away to the side - And it's always the same side!

I started off with a wickes tile cutter - the first twenty or so snapped fine, and then I went through a whole box with the snap veering off in the same direction at more or less the same place. I didn't know if it was my technique or the cheap tool so I went an bought a Rubi Pocket 50

Initially the Rubi was a pleasure to use! light scoring and a perfect snap every time! :) But after about twenty cuts, the exact same problem is happening. The frustration is unbelieveable! :yikes:

Is it me? is it the cheap wickes tiles? is the cutting wheel wearing out?

The fact that the symptom is the same every time seems to discount the tiles being the cause and I would guess that a cutting wheel should be good for more than a couple of dozen tiles! So that leaves it down to me being the problem!

I have watched several online videos, but have not seen this issue being mentioned. Help me please!

The cutters you have don't really have a good breaking capacity. As Stef above says, score the tile and then break it by hand on the side of the cutter or on a raised flat surface.
My first tile cutter was bought from wickes in Gosport. Nice to here from tilers in Pompey.

P

Pompey Monkey

It was the tiles all along!

I was putting in the last row above my shower tray tonight and the first three snapped fine. I then went to the next packet and the problem started again... I had oiled the runners on the cutter and fiddled with the angle of the wheel. All to no avail - I wasted another six or seven tiles. To say I was getting frustrated would be quite an understatement...

And then I remembered that the ties had a "good" pair of edges and a "rough" pair. I tried a cut making sure that the "good" side against the stop. Another wasted. The next tile I made sure that the "rough" edge was against the stop. It cut OK! So I did that with the next...
...and the next...
...and the next...
...all good!

Obviously I was always picking them from the box the same way and therefore putting them in the cutter in the same orientation, so it was just pot luck how I started each pack and, of course, the run of bad snaps would continue!

I guess that there was some strain on the tiles when they were fired and the stresses just manifested themselves when I snapped in a particular direction. Anyone else ever seen this? Any ceramic scientists out there?

At least I got the job done :)

And thanks again for all the advice!

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Tile cutting woes in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

P
Hiya I know this was 10 years ago hoping you still use the same email address and get this...
Replies
Views
Hello, after watching so many instructional videos and planing, I just can't understand how to...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, I've had a bit of an issue on a job I've been doing recently. We finished tiling on...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB