Discuss Tile Lippage in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Evening Everyone

Those of you that have been reading and answering my threads will be aware that i have had my work cut out over the last couple of weeks with my first ever tiling and DIY project!

Well i have finally got to the tiling stage after overboarding/ tile backerboard/UFH/SLC.

I'm laying 10mm 400 x 600 non glazed porcelain tiles from Imola Ceramica which seem a decent quality tile.

I spent a long time setting out the room and making alterations to get the desired alignment spot on - Which I'm please with. :thumbsup:

I have laid all the whole tiles and plan to do do all the cuts tomorrow. My problem is that a couple of the tiles have a 2mm lip and a few of the others a 1mm lip which i appreciate is far from perfect. Bearing in mind i have never held a trowel before, let alone tiled would you say i should stick with it and continue or pull up and start again?

Will the grout tidy this up slightly? Unfortunately i only have 2mm gaps so i guess it will only help so much.

If I'm honest i think the SLC stage could have gone better - It wasn't as level as i hoped but again this was totally new to me so i will know next time (if the missus lets me have another go) :lol:

Re: Tile Lipage

hi if you dont mind a pic might help its hard to call without a view thanks
tile.jpg tile 2.jpg

Hi, Its difficult to get it to show with the camera but this might help. This picture is the worse one which is 3mm so i'm going to pull this one up. What the best way to pull up trying not to break the tile?

I

Ian

2mm grout line is asking quite alot of yourself, you said that the slc stage didn't go well, however, if you take your time and lay each tile 1 by 1 (which is obvious!!!!!) you will be fine. Judging by your photos (and please don't take this the wrong way) you have said 'that'll do' and that is why you have the lips. When laying, line each tile up with the ones adjacent to it to make sure they are flush (no lippage) and once you are happy with this pull it away to make your grout line. hope this makes sense, basically what I'm trying to say is line the tile up to its neighbours before putting your spacer in???!!! :)

J

jay

best to remove and try again you should be able to get tiles down to within 1mm or better time and patience make sure your adh is mixed right as to wet will let tiles slump

if tiles are less than 12 hours old (from laying) then you may be able to lift them but try not to damage next tile if older you can break the tile and remove from the centre out (gloves glasses ect)
good luck and remember you have to live with it

E

easyt

A useful tip. My eyesight isn't what it was and when I am laying tiles in less than perfect light (and you are often in your own light) I need reading glasses. I use a 3 inch piece of architrave cut square and slide this over adjacent tiles onto the one I am laying and back again. If I can feel a resistance then 'not good enough'. Works well and ensures no unnoticed lippage.

M

mikethetile

I use the same method as easyt as sometimes it can be deceptive but a short straight edge picks up the smallest of lips and you get the little "donk" too,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,tiling by ear

tbh that lip looks nearer 5mm than 3mm and the tiles need lifting and starting again

tiling is no where near as easy as people think it is, so just persevere and take your time, and as stated above set yout tile to the surrounding tiles and them just pull out to form your grout joint

Do i need to remove every last bit of the tile adhesive on the floor?

I have been chiseling away all morning and its proving difficult to get right back to the SLC as its well set and im nervous about going through and into the UFH.

Can i leave 1mm-1.5mm of adhesive on the floor and tile over it?

If yes -

When i put a fresh tile in the area where i have removed the tile adhesive, and measure the difference in height between this tile and the one next to it (fixed to the floor) whats the minimum difference that is acceptable so that i no i have scraped enough tile adhesive away.

Thanks in advance

S

Scott

Yes but just take it one tile at a time. Run your fingers across the join to see if the adjacent tiles are either higher or lower than the one you are laying. If its proud then tap it down with a rubber mallet until its the right height. If its low then lift the tile and add more adhesive to the tile. I do this by back skimming the back of the tile with the flat edge of the trowel to add the desired amount. Re trowel the floor to make sure you had the same amount of adhesive as you did before. You can also adjust the amount of adhesive on the floor by altering the angle you rake the trowel at.

S

shogun rua

Hi Scot,

What bit do you use a rasp? Are the any good? I was going to get one for my Bosch.

Cheers

Paul

You'd be better to get it all off im afraid. Its not an easy task. I use a Fein multimaster or you can get a screed rubbing tool. I got mine from screwfix. Hire centres also have blocks from large hire machines that you can buy to rub it down

Reply to Tile Lippage in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

I need advice on score and snap cutting of large porcelain tiles, lets say, over 1000 mm long...
Replies
Views
Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views
Hi all , it’s been years since last posted for advice and your methods . My question is this ...
Replies
Views
Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Tile Lippage
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.