Discuss Tile Lippage in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

geronimo183

I would be very much obliged if you could provide some advice on the following concerns that I have. A few years ago I tiled my hallway floor into my bathroom at one end, leading into a toilet midway and then into the kitchen at the adjacent end.

I fitted a tile that was 60cm x 15cm. Having no previous experience I fitted the tiles in a brickbond layout and as I laid each tile I used a small spirit level. Unbeknowing that the floor was not very level I used an excessive amount of adhesive in certain areas to maintain a level surface. Unfortunately I was left with endless lips as I found it very hard to level one tile up to the next without effecting an adjoining tile.

I had 3 tilers visit to give me their opinion which were all complimentary of my efforts, however they all advised that brickbond was not the ideal layout for the length of this tile and on some tiles there was a slight curve which obviously amplified the 'lip' problem. Subsequently the un-eveness of the floor was always going to be a problem

Having decided to wait 18 months we opted to hire a professional tiler who has been in the business for 29 years. We purchased a very expensive tile which was 50cm squared.

Overall I am reasonably happy with the work however I had hoped that there would be no lip issues, but on closer inspection I have found quite a few. As you can see from the images most of the lips are the depth of a one pence piece/1-1.5mm.

The issue is, am I being far too pedantic having spent the last few years scrutinising my own work or should a professional tiler be able to avoid any raised lips irrespective of surface level? Alternatively is there a tolerance which is deemed acceptable within the professional trade?

The whole area was 20 square metres which took the tiler and his apprentice 14 hours to complete. This also raised other concerns because as per his and other quotes, most estimated that it would take 3 days, however this was undertaken in 1 and a half.

I appreciate that my concrete floor of 40 years is not level but is not damaged, and that hallway is narrow with 6 door ways, but am I asking too much for perfection?

At no point did any tiler mention the possibilities of levelling the floor, however did I give the tiler too much room for error by telling him the floor was not level. On the first morning I did see him use a laser across the floor.

I really do hope you can help with my concerns to give me some direction or piece of mind.

Attachments

• DSC00330.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 246
  • DSC00326#1.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 241
  • DSC00333.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 230
  • DSC00329.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 264
  • DSC00332.JPG
    44.8 KB · Views: 254
  • DSC00328.JPG
    31.4 KB · Views: 223
  • DSC00325.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 226
  • DSC00331.JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 220
  • DSC00336.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 222
  • DSC00334.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 222
  • DSC00335.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 214
  • DSC00327.JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 227
P

paul78

self leveller it is. could of been prepped and completed in a day ready for tiling. at least you would of had the option to self level or not....... strange he never offered because it requires more work which is more business.......

plus you would of got better results which is more business again...........

some of the joins look like he didnt use cross spacers, unless thats just camera angle.

G

geronimo183

As I have spent a fortune on these tiles do you think I could get many up without breaking them, is there a particulat technique?

By the way thanks to you all for replying, I did not know who to ask in my local area, but just cannot help feeling dissappointed and out of pocket. In your opinion is it a realistic ask to ask for all of my money back plus loss of tiles or just part money back?

J

jay

As I have spent a fortune on these tiles do you think I could get many up without breaking them, is there a particulat technique?

By the way thanks to you all for replying, I did not know who to ask in my local area, but just cannot help feeling dissappointed and out of pocket. In your opinion is it a realistic ask to ask for all of my money back plus loss of tiles or just part money back?

its hard to say if the tiles will lift in one piece or not all depends on what adh was used and the way they were fixed
your best advice is to talk to the tiler and sort it out with him

good luck

G

geronimo183

HI all,

Firstly I like to say many thanks to all those that have replied with advice and their opinion regarding the lippage problem that I have encountered.

I received a visit from the tiler and in short his opinion is that there is nothing wrong with the job and that I am being too over critical. He has offered to replace some tiles but again there is a disagreement between us as to how many should be replaced. Subsequently it is like dominoes, altering one tile effects the next and so on etc.

The tilers comments were 'I can only work with what I have' so therefore I do not feel that I am confident in letting him revisit to 'try' and amend some of the tiles, because he has said he did the best job he could, so how will he improve it?

So therefore my next question is, has anyone had any communication or know of any information (without being too technical) as to how a report from the tilers association would help me. I am aware that there is a tolerance that is allowed, something like 2.3mm over a 2 metre edge, but this doesn't really mean anything to me in relation to my case.

The cost for this is nearly as much as I paid for the tiles, but if a report was to identify that the tiler did not do his job correctly how would this benefit me? Is this information good enough to pursue a court hearing? Do they provide a representative that demonstrates their findings? so on and so forth.

Many thanks to you all in advance.

Reply to Tile Lippage in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

How would you go about tiling a floor and or wall that's massively out of plumb ? When things...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views
Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Tile Lippage
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.