Discuss Tile spacers in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

I

Ian

Re: Spacers

That's a shame because there are some interesting results " bit of both " ? so is that counted as a yes ?
I voted "a bit of both" and I'll explain why. If the tiles are rectified and bang on size wise (for example porcelanosa), I'll put the cross in the first tile of the row to keep the whole row from moving, then everything else is done so they can be removed. Anything other than this kind of scenario, I just use one leg of the spacer so they are all removable.

I

Ian

Another reason I don't use the spacer as a cross is, I like to get the tile lip free before spacing, so essentially butt jointing them and running my hand over the two tiles, I then move them apart and put the spacer legs in. I find this to be the best way of getting tiles lip free, if a spacer is already in place it's hard to feel if the two tiles are completely flush with each other because of the open joint. Hope that makes sense!

Another reason I don't use the spacer as a cross is, I like to get the tile lip free before spacing, so essentially butt jointing them and running my hand over the two tiles, I then move them apart and put the spacer legs in. I find this to be the best way of getting tiles lip free, if a spacer is already in place it's hard to feel if the two tiles are completely flush with each other because of the open joint. Hope that makes sense!

Exactly how I do do it ? what makes you think otherwise ?

- - - Updated - - -

But you can see who voted though :):):):)

I'm missing something then, clue me in mate :)

seen so many tutorials with guys on youtube tiling and they make it look so easy, spread addy, stick tile, insert spacer (cross way) then on and on they go. Would like to see them try that with ceramics just presssing the spacer in after each tile, they would be at the mercy of the gods half way up the wall trying to figure out why the big vertical canyon is appearing!

Nevr done a youtube but that is how I and just about every other fixer I've worked along side do it, as said earlier, if the ties are known to be sizey then that is addressed as you go.

What I mean is, if the cross is already in place, the tiles can't be butt jointed as the spacer is already in. Pictures would probably help me explain myself better.

I know what your saying mate, I don't need a diagram, I do not have spacers in place whaen I fix the next tile, I do it the way you do, butt joint to feel for lips then pull away and space.

J

johnryan

interesting post here. i voted for taking them out, and use spacers and wedges. rubi do nice wedges that go from zero to 5 mm and work where the tiles may differ in size slightly. also i seem to use the same fixing technique as bri to get the tiles flush which wouldn't be possible if putting the spacers in first. i did read an article recently about this and it gave reference to the hinge and slam technique which use spacers in first. at one point it mentioned that leaving spacers in could cause blown tiles due the contraction on timber framed walls, which coupled with spacers that were too solid to give could cause bellying of the tiles. i'll try to find the article and post it here. not sure if it was more to do with the method of setting the tiles or leaving spacers in though.

Reply to Tile spacers in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
I received an email about BAL External tile adhesive and grout this morning and thought I'd post...
Replies
Views
Z
Hi , I am currently doing a large floor area up , 300 sqm approx. i have polished porcelain...
Replies
Views
S
We are having a constant battle with learners and employers of apprentices regarding leaving...
Replies
Views
Cera Nevada
C
Hi all, got a 70sqr mtr floor to do in tumbled limestone in sizes 1000mmx600 900x600 800x600...
Replies
Views
Old Mod
O

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB