UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss tiler in london,whats the pay and wages like?thanks in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
I went over Ireland not long ago and get on with a family there. They're businessmen, ran a very big business that took a big hit in 2008, like all of us no doubt. And they've changed their ways to fit with the current climate and are taking what we have now as a given, assuming it will never get better. I was saying it should get better. They said don't bother and stop saying 'in this climate' which is what I kept saying.

They said treat now as the given and the way things are. And should thinks ever boom again then you get a bonus.

Still in two minds as to whether it'll get better or not but I am now taking this as it is. Whatever works about now. That's probably the amount of work that will be about for a while.

W

White Room

I went over Ireland not long ago and get on with a family there. They're businessmen, ran a very big business that took a big hit in 2008, like all of us no doubt. And they've changed their ways to fit with the current climate and are taking what we have now as a given, assuming it will never get better. I was saying it should get better. They said don't bother and stop saying 'in this climate' which is what I kept saying.

They said treat now as the given and the way things are. And should thinks ever boom again then you get a bonus.

Still in two minds as to whether it'll get better or not but I am now taking this as it is. Whatever works about now. That's probably the amount of work that will be about for a while.

What a great attitude to take....

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
i agree dan...not being pesimistic bu ti think this is no longer a recession of sorts but the way it is now and will stay this way for the forseeable future

I live in hope mate and all that. But I've read too many posts and heard too many people now to be thinking this is a short term thing like I used to think.

I think I have about 120,000 accounts on all these trade forums so I don't just see it from our 20k accounts here on TF. I keep reading it and reading it and reading it and it's starting to hit home now.

And the amount of mates I have saving for a mortgage is mental. Pretty much half my mates are saving, some of the rest struggling, some of the rest given up and are either with family, renting long-term, or just on their arses.

The good old days of negative equity and 105% mortgages are long gone. Who ever thought you could walk past a house for sale and own 5% of it's value without putting a penny down?!?!?! Seems like a pretend story now when I look back but it bloody happened and all the banks did them!

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
What a great attitude to take....
Ain't it.

They had a multi million pound electrical supplies business with about 30 trucks delivering all over UK and ireland. And now have just the warehouse, some stock, lots of drop-shipping, and a decent website.

He said I'm taking this as it is. This is what we earn and own now. And it's increasing so it's getting better. So if we do get a boom we're laughing, but right now we're secure. And that's the main thing.

Very wise bloke and some say you can't respect what you've got until you've lost it all and had to gain it back. He's defo a bloke that respects what he's got.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
I think it's all about the unique selling points you have in the business, and the angles you take, and a lot to do with keeping your customers your own. As if they've done you well for the last 5 years, they're probably all about to have another job done now so it just goes around again.

The likes of rate-ya-sausage.com type websites all geared at pointing out the cheapest trader have a lot to do with customers expectations.

I bet you lads know more than I do that some of these customers have got the cheaper one in, but could have quite happily paid the going rate had they not had that cheapo one quote, and the 7 quotes near the cheapest price.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
well i 'am a pessimist ,and i don't think thing's are about to get better, if anything they are going to get a lot worse ,before they ease , you only have to look at the mess we are in!!

I hope it doesn't get worse mate as I'm stacked up to the eyeballs with websites I'm doing to help tradesmen, and to be honest not one is a paid-for one yet and wont pay for a long long time so I hope they work out for at least the guys I'm building them all for, you tradesmen!

If it gets worse I'll feel like I build even more and I need to start earning some money from some at some point.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to tiler in london,whats the pay and wages like?thanks in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

J
    • Winner
moved to the london area in 1984 when my wife got a transfer to Guildford with her works. needed...
Replies
Views
I was quoted over £4700 (inclusive of VAT) to rip out and replace my bathroom. This does not...
Replies
Views
R
Evening All, I wonder if you can help me.. I'm trying to contact as many tilers as possible in...
Replies
Views
MTiler
M
I'm a chippy, I fit a lot of kitchens and some bathrooms, inevitably I have done quite a bit of...
Replies
Views
B
Hi, I own a landscaping company in Forest Hill, South London and am looking to find someone who...
Replies
Views
BlairVogue
B

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.