UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss tiler's terms and conditions , in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

Diamond Pool Finishers

well i have been thinking of writing some down as we seem to get the same old, bull over and over and ideas for some good ones ? or are there any guys on the forum that have a set they could e-mail me [email protected] so i could cherry pick some of the best ,its just something we can say to these smarty pants if you look at our T&C on the back in the faint writing ....lol :thumbsup:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
You want to cover things like: -

• Payments; when to get paid for materials, when to get paid for labour, if works are over a certain period of time, customer must pay for labour in stages (weekly or whatever).
  • Materials being supplied by customer / shop, but arrive late (cover your lost days - you can negotiate this perhaps but set in your terms the full day rate maybe)
  • Snagging list; make sure customer does a bit of a check when you leave to make sure they're happy with it, then if they do have an issue, they need to contact you within 30 days or something perhaps
  • Standard working hours - so you both know what time you should be able to access the job, and what time to expect to finish - maybe.

Most things you'd want to cover are payment related I'd imagine.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Job cancellations would be a biggy these days perhaps.

Make sure they sign the terms once they agree the estimate, and make sure that you point out that if they cancel once they have signed, they would need to pay X% of the job labour costs.

I'm sick of hearing of people getting cancelled by text message the day before the job is meant to start!!!! That is NO WAY to treat a tradesman! Unless somebody has been taken seriously ill, I'd expect to pay the bloke so I'd expect to be paid if I was the bloke.

A lot of the harsh terms you can negotiate when you need to cross the bridge and perhaps even waive as a gesture of good will (after all if you end up working for them in the end, you do want them to call you again in the future and recommend you to friends etc).

But when it's one of those customers you know has just found a cheaper tiler and wanted you to cut corners and whatnot - then you know you can go in guns blazing with your terms and conditions.

Might be worth getting the final copy checked over by a solicitor of some form to make sure A) you're within the law and B) they're strong enough to send the debt collectors in if needs be.

If you get a license to provide credit (which you need to pay and apply for - with strict terms you'd need to abide by) you can even put unpaid marks on their credit file.

But perhaps your average tradesmen wouldn't need to do that. I know my uncle used to be at that sort of level with a conservatory firm he ran. Installing several a month means you've got thousands of pounds of stuff on order for customers who have only given you a signature. You need to get that money back if they're playing around and intending on not paying etc - It's law of averages when you install that much stuff for strangers that you get the odd one just trying to get a free conservatory.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to tiler's terms and conditions , in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
TilersForums.com has been online since 2006 and we've had many designs, even three forum...
Replies
Views
W
I’m thinking about compiling a list/checklist for prospective customers to ask their Tilers...
Replies
Views
Spare Tool
S
tilersforums.com has just today created a directory of wall and floor tilers in the UK. We're...
Replies
Views
Tile Shop
T

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.