Discuss Tiling a splashback above bathroom basin in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

A

angedup

I'm a DIYer who has just managed to tile above the sink in the ensuite bathroom - an easy job as the sink top was level and flat and I used this as my first row of tiles and tiled up from there with a batton on the side

I now want to do the other bathroom -
width = 5 10x10 tiles height = 2 or possibly 3 rows

BUT the basin in this bathroom is shaped at the top
legend

Where should I start my tiling to get a good flat finish at the top and make my cutting job as 'easy' as possible.

Any advice welcome. Thanks

C

CJ CERAMICS

Certainly an idea I hadn't thought of. What will stop the tiles slipping as the adhesive sets if there is nothing for them to rest on?

thanks

what adhesive were you planning on using? if you can buy mapei p9 from a supplier this is a white powered adhesive that is mixed with water, it has a very good initial grab i use this alot of the time. if you press your tiles into the adhesive in a slight twisting motion and hold in pplace for about 20 seconds the tile should not slip. if you are using a tubbed adhesive i would batton behind the basin to support the tile.
chris

C

CJ CERAMICS

Thanks CJ Ceramics.

Still just a little bit worried about the look of the whole thing. My width of tiles overhangs the baisin edge by about 3 cms on each side. Think it will look ok with this overhang extending out below the top of the basin?

Perhaps I'm being too fussy in view of my lack of skills . . .

when tiling a splash area above a sink basin i usually allow the tiles to overhang the outside edge of the basin unless i am using an edging profile
in my honest opinion i think that leaving the oerhang will look fine but make sure that you set your first tile in the middle of the basin.
chris

C

CJ CERAMICS

Try making a template from a piece of card and copy onto your lies scribe the tiles and get the nippers and a tile file and away you go
:thumbsup:

easier said than done especially if you are not used to tiling could waste quite a few tiles getting it right, but can be worth ago though personally i think unscrewing the screws to the required distance and placing a full tile in is easier for some one with little or no experience in tiling..
chris

F

faithhealer

Ok, so removing the sink from the wall isn't an option as it is GLUED to the wall - no screws through the holes! Figure there must be a reason for this so will leave it as it is.

Back to my orginal question - planning to cut the tiles (I have nippers and guage), should I start with the row that is being cut or start higher and work down?

I would make a template and get them to fit around the basin first

C

CJ CERAMICS

Ok, so removing the sink from the wall isn't an option as it is GLUED to the wall - no screws through the holes! Figure there must be a reason for this so will leave it as it is.

Back to my orginal question - planning to cut the tiles (I have nippers and guage), should I start with the row that is being cut or start higher and work down?

hi there sorry my connection went down so i could not reply earlier, if your basin is not screwed on but glued(most likely the plumber has used silicone to attach to the wall) as you say there is probably a reason for this....if i was you i would start the tiling above the row which is going to nipped after planning to make sure that you have left enough distance to cover the scalloped edges. i hope this makes sense:thumbsup:
chris

D

doug boardley

somehow I missed this thread:thumbsdown: it was probably siliconed by the plumber, 'cos he probably didn't fancy drilling tiles:thumbsdown: I normally remove basin by pulling a cheese wire through the back of the basin, cuts the silicon and then you can remove it:thumbsup:

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Tiling a splashback above bathroom basin in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hey everyone, I've been at a stall in my bathroom reno most of this year mainly due to work...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I was hoping I could get a little advice. Currently doing a bit of tiling in the...
Replies
Views
Dumbo
D
Hi folks, new to the forum and I'm a DIY novice with no tiling experience to speak of. Been...
Replies
Views
WetSaw
W
Hello, Could someone explain me what is splashback tiles kitchen? One of my clients requested...
Replies
Views
B
Evening all, My first post here so please be gentle with me!;) I'm redoing the kitchen and...
Replies
Views
B

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB