Discuss Tiling an uneven restaurant kitchen floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

mikedavey

Hi, I've looked at this chinese restaruant that wants the floor tiling. It's about 6m x 13m sq & is very uneven throughout. It's already tiled & extremely greasy & dirty. I know that all the grease will need to be cleaned thoroughly before any work is carried out. I will tile ontop of the existing tiles as they are solid, but i'm not happy about my tiling looking as bad as the old tiling. The level of the floor varies alot (I'd say some of the high points are 30-40mm high in places). Being as it's such a large area self levelling is probably the best & easiest option (I'm assuming). They want the job done cheap & i have explained to them that it won't look very flat.
Can anyone come up with a super plan or idea.
I've tried to find out whether building regulations state that kitchen floors need to be in a certain way. Also, i'm to choose the tiles. Do i need to use a certain colour or special non slip tiles.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated....

Mike

P

pjtiler

i think a porcelain tile would be ideal easier to clean maybe but non slip would be alright but i would definetly use epoxy grout on any resturant kitchen
ist job is to degrease the floor there a few good degreasers in the market
i would run an angle grinder over the tiles just to be sure you have a good key
set your levels
screed or self level
acid wash porciane are non slip
and flexi grouts ok for industial kitchens

G

GazTech

For health and safety reasons, the floor grout needs to be epoxy resin. If grouted in any other type, there is a chance the license could be 'taken away'....if you pardon the pun....Gaz
BAL Floor Epoxy
floor_epoxy.jpg
Hygienic, Grey, hard-wearing, impervious, epoxide resin based ceramic floor tile grout with a high degree of resistance to chemical attack, abrasion and impact. Suitable for use in interior, exterior, dry and wet locations. The cured grout does not transfer taints to foodstuffs, does not permit entry of bacteria or dirt and is easily maintained in a sterile condition. It is also suitable as high performance epoxy adhesive for fixing ceramic tiles. BAL Floor Epoxy meets the requirements of BS 5980:1980 for resistance to mould growth. It also conforms to BS 5385:part 4:1992:section 9, for use in sterile conditions.

The product additionally meets the requirements of “The Materials and Articles in Contact with Food Regulations 1987”, “The Food Safety (General Food Hygiene) Regulations 1995” and the EC Directive 93/43 on the Hygiene of Foodstuffs 1993. Ideal for use in abattoirs, breweries, chemical plants, dairies, food/drink processing plants, hospitals, industrial plant rooms, kitchens, shopping malls/supermarkets, sports/leisure centres. Conforms to BS EN 13888, Type R, Class G1.

D

Deleted member 1779

Legally the floor has to be free from defects to allow effective cleaning to take place. Make sure that whatever you intend to leave them with is capable of being mopped and disinfected on a regular basis.

This snapshot report (below) should give you an idea of what an inspector will seek from their food serving clients during an inspection

Legal Status Standard Inspection Report On Page-3 Under shedule2 the second comment (2) refers to flooring.

However the report refers to broken or missing tiles rather than a bowed or undulating floor.

At some point they will be inspected. Just make sure that any floor you leave them with is defect free. You can bet that any inspection report making comments about their new floor will be referred back to you for corrective work..

Last edited by a moderator:
A

Alberta Stone

What is the existing grout?
If it is standard then it will be saturated with grease and that will have to go too. Dirty job then.
Has the grease penetrated under the tiles?
Lift one to see.
If it has it would be best to remove the old tiles.
(Rent a big removal machine and include that price in the quote. Unless they pop up nice)
If not then use a diamond grinder to scarify the floor.
Use a wet grinder so that you don't dust them out.
Epoxy grout is the only safe choice for food handling areas.
Listen to Gaz.:thumbsup:
Self leveler to get rid of the waves.
Use a full bodied porcelain not glazed.
Use an anti-skid product to lower the friction coefficient:
Anti Slip Treatments provided by Grip On International Ltd

SA Protective Coatings P/L :: ANTI-SKID Tile & Concrete Treatment

Link removed

http://www.noskid.com/catalog/produc...022aa4d4ed534c

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Tiling an uneven restaurant kitchen floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi everyone, Our tiler has done a really amazing job with our kitchen flooring, but has used a...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Tiling an uneven restaurant kitchen floor
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.