Discuss Tiling chipboard floors in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

Matthew77

Hi All

Just thought I'd see what the tilers forum members think about Tiling onto 22mm moisture resistant t&g chip board flooring as more and more jobs that I go to price these days seem to be prepared by the chippy using chipboard instead of ply.

I've been using an adhesive from tilemaster called ultimate which is guaranteed for use on chipboard & floating floors and after speaking with their tech guys on the phone was informed that alot of it is used on boats & ships where there is alot of movement & vibration. I've only been brave enough to use this on small floors so far.

here is the link to the website with the tech info:

http://www.tilemasteradhesive.co.uk/PDF/techdata/UltimateTechData.pdf

I know most of you on here like me are not keen on tiling onto chipboard or floating floors but I thought I'd throw this out and see what everyone thinks?

M

Matthew77

So even with the adhesive stating on the tech data that it is made for this type of substrate its still no good with out over boarding with a cement board?

This conflict of information & views is always a bit confusing to me.

I wonder if the same was said about the use of 6mm cement boards when they were first starting to be used.

This is from the tech data sheet:

Chipboard: Chipboard must be a minimum of 18mm and must be
screwed (not nailed) every 6 inches/150mm centres to the substrate.
Ensure there is enough ventilation beneath substrate and that the
chipboard has been fitted competently and will take the weight of tiles
and adhesive. Make sure surface is free of loose dirt or dust. Apply an
undiluted coat of Primeplus to all exposed edges and joints and then
prime the remainder of the surface with Primeplus diluted 2 parts water
to 1 part Primeplus. The set time of the adhesive will increase

M

Mudduckk

Not sure if chip board is the same as what we call OSB in the US but it sounds like the same thing as 3/4 inch T&G OSB underlayment (only 22mm is like 7/8" - beefy!). Assuming it is, here's what I propose. First check the spacing of the joists. Should be no more than 16 inches (40cm) on center. If spacing is like 19" on center or 24" on center, add 6mm cement board underlayment on thinset plus nailed in place and you are good to go.

If you have the proper joist spacing at around 40cm, use a new generation trowelable waterproofing anti-fracture membrane like Custom's Redguard or TEC Specialty's Hydroflex. Or equal from your trusted setting product manufacturer. These will save you time and money, are about 50% of the installed price of 6mm cement board on thinset and take almost no time at all to put down.

Hi Alan. Were they large or small areas you tiled, how long ago, and to your knowledge are they still ok.Sites I've worked on have done the same CI matting straight onto OSboard or chipboard, as far as I know they have been fine, but only been fixed for 6 months so far.

The floors varied in size, none of them massive, the biggest was probably around 6 m2, and no, no failures to date.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Tiling chipboard floors in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Where to get a Tiling NVQ Hi,I did the 4wk course in Warrington back in Sept, being a plasterer...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Tiling chipboard floors
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.