Discuss Tiling Dilemma With Damp Wall Substrate in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

mika_98

Hello all,

I seem to be in a dilemma with the tiler and tiling my bathroom. First of all, things to bear in mind are that the walls are slightly damp and I have gone for porcelain tiles. The walls have been treated with a damp proof course but I have been advised any previous damp may remain for a while.

With that in mind, I'm assuming the best method is to fit a board of some sort to tile onto. If that is correct, which method should I use - dot and dab with adhesive or studwork?

I'd rather go with the dot/dab as my bathroom is very small (1.8 x 1.5m). Batons plus boards, followed by tiles will take up what little space I already have. If I go down this route, which boards (apart from plaster/MR) can I fit using adhesive? I'd love to use something like Aquapanels but was advised they have to be fitted using batons. Are there any other alternatives?

However, if its best to go with batons+boards, which combination can I go with (again apart from plaster/MR) that will take up less space? Aquapanels I believe require a 38mm baton according to the manufacturer!

Also, I've never heard of this but the tiler wishes to add some kind of waterproof additive to the grout I prefer, which is one from the Mapei range. Anyone ever heard of such practice?

I would be very grateful of any advice as it's causing me some bother :oops:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Dot and dab plasterboard and then tank the shower area. I assume the damp is visibly gone and just still in the wall? When was the course put in?

Not heard of a waterproof additive for grout.

Only epoxy is waterproof and can be used as a grout, or adhesive. Expensive to do a whole bathroom though and a bit of an overkill.

Tank it and use the normal Mapei grout and it'll be fine.

If the damp is still quite bad you might need to avoid plasterboard. That won't mix well with moisture.

S

SJPurdy

Wedi Boards of 20mm thick or more can be dot/dab fixed over uneven walls, thinner Wedi boards can be fixed on a notched trowel bed of adhesive over flat walls (additional dowels/screws and washers also required). Very easy to use, lightweight and good surface to tile onto. Impermeable to water. Expensive?
"No More Ply" boards of 6mm can also be fixed dot/dab again with additional screw fixings. Will also need priming (SBR) both sides to improve adhesion.
"Google" both for full details, confirmation of my notes and fixing instructions.

M

mika_98

I like the idea of using No More Ply boards. A decent board for a reasonable price.
Assuming if I go with the dot/dab then screw in process, the idea would be to let the adhesive set and then screw in?

Not sure how much damp remains to be honest, its down to bare brick. Could always get someone in to check with the damp meter again. As for the dehumidifier, that's something I was considering so thanks for the reminder.

P

p4ulo

Sorry if this sounds silly but I assume this means pre-drilling holes for the plugs and screws. Is that correct?

Been looking at No More Ply boards. The process on their site advises to use a 'Mega Strength Adhesive' on the joins. Is that an absolute requirement?

Yeah, you will need to pre-drill and rawl-plug before fitting the board.
Dunno about No More Ply boards, I'm a HardieBacker man meself, cos I get it cheap at Topps.

Damp bricks take about a month per inch to dry out. If you're down to bare brick, then the normal way would be sand and cement with a waterproof render in it, but you should use a washed sand. The drawback is it'sll take a few weeks to dry. If you want to get on with the work quickly, then you could go for the Dryzone system. Not cheap, but you can get the plasterboard up in a day. Last method to think about, is to blackjack the wall to stop the damp coming though, batten the walls using tanalised timber, and stainless steel screws, then plasterboard - but make sure the blackjack goes on the ground as far out as the plasterboard will go.

Okay, back to basics. A damp wall will loosen off any normal adhesive you use to tile with, or soak into plasterboard that you dot and dab. The trick is to stop the damp coming through, so you either use the hardibacker/Aquapanel type board to seal the wall, but this will create damp air behind the boards. By using blackjack DPM (google it), or the dryzone system, is that the moisture is forced to evaporate to the outside of the wall. Having put the Blackjack on, you can then safely batten the wall (as adhesive may not stick well to it), and then use plasterboard - which works out pretty cheaply, and to be honest, stainless steel screws aren't really necessary, just an added precaution. I'd only use the adhesive and screw method on a drywall, not a damp one, as the primer isn't going to stop the damp coming through.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Tiling Dilemma With Damp Wall Substrate in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

P
Hiya I know this was 10 years ago hoping you still use the same email address and get this...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm currently prepping a shower for tiling. One wall has been built out for the shower...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a very small area (1m.sq) on an exterior doorway entrance wall to tile. I would...
Replies
Views
I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
Hi, first time posting. I’m in the middle of tiling my own bathroom, first time having a go at...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB