Discuss Tiling directly onto wall in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Stefan

Hi,

Here's a picture of the lovely wall in my en suite, where I'm planning on building a shower:

photo.jpg

The holes are from where I removed a large mirror that used to be mounted on the wall. I'm going to tank and tile the wall, so my options are:

• Fill the holes, remove the remaining glue from the mirror to make a flat surface, and then tank. OR
  • Fix on backer boards (Hardi are easiest for me to get) and then tank.
I guess it should only take an hour or so to clean off the glue and fill the holes, so that's my preference. The question is will it then be harder to tile / have problems with strength of wall? If I tank and have a pinhole, would water damage cause this surface to crumble?

What sort of adhesive should I use to fix to this wall (either for backer board or for tanking?)

Many thanks!

Stefan

S

Stefan

One more point I've discovered today - the walls bow slightly (<10mm), so I'll need to build out slightly with adhesive. So it looks like my options are:

1. Get some light tiles, tank and tile directly onto the wall.
2. If I (well actually the missus), decide to go for heavy tiles, I'll need to do something about the wall. So can I just put on backer boards with screws and adhesive, or do I need to remove the existing plaster first?

Removing the plaster feels like it's going to be messy and difficult, any other options?

Thanks

Stefan

S

Stefan

Progress...got my SDS drill, and started taking off the plaster. It comes off pretty cleanly to the layer below:

photo(1).jpg photo.jpg

It looks to me like this layer is concrete? There are stones in the wall, and I guess it's harder than the plaster, since the chisel going through the plaster easily but making much less impact on the layer behind.

Presumably the concrete layer is the one I should be fixing the backerboard to, with both adhesive and screws? How clean does it need to be - in some areas the plaster comes off perfectly right back to the concrete, in others there're clumps of plaster left. Should I be meticulous about removing all the plaster?

Thanks

Stefan

S

Stefan

Thanks. The layer is a pale brown, like sand. It's rough, and has lots of stones in it, up to about 1cm in diameter. Doesn't sound like it's breeze block or Hemelite, so I'm guessing concrete. It's a bit hard to tell with all the plaster, but I think they are blocks - there are disconnects where the edges don't quite line up. At some of these there appear to be deeper patches of plaster - could the wall have been built with gaps which were then filled with plaster?

Not sure how much of this is relevant, just posting everything I can see!

Stefan

S

Stefan

I'm in Cambridge, the house was built in 2002. The outer walls are brick, if that's what you mean. The wall I'm working on is the one bordering the next house along in the terrace.

The chisel goes through the plaster very easily, but mostly stops at the blocks, so I can push it along and strip out a channel of plaster, without going into the layer below. If I catch an edge of the blocks I can take out small chunks of them, but they're definitely much harder than the plaster.

Reply to Tiling directly onto wall in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, first time posting. I’m in the middle of tiling my own bathroom, first time having a go at...
Replies
Views
    • Friendly
I'm going to be installing Marmox multi boards, on two (internal walls) I'll use 4mm, just so I...
Replies
Views
I'm having a nightmare trying to establish product info from distributors. For example...
Replies
Views
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Tiling directly onto wall
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.