UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Tiling my house, need some advice in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

tek_01

Hi all, new to the forum so take it easy on me :lol:

Basically im up to the tiling part of my house and what i have done so far is on the 65 sq m of floorboards have secured them all down with screws into the joists and packed any gaps under the house between joists/bearers/piers.
I Have then nailed down some ceramic tile underlay (compressed fibro stuff) in accordance with manufacturers instructions leaving expansion joints at all door ways. So far so good...

Now i went out and bought 600x600 polished porcelain with square edges (no bevel:yikes:) because of the look and price was in my budget + the wife was nagging me she wanted them so boss wins. Now the floor is far from flat in some areas but it would cost me WAY too much to put down floor leveller so im going to have to try make do with bit thicker/thinner glue in some spots.
I have bought the LASH tile spacers in order to make my life that bit easier. Good choice for a newb? I understand these wont level my floor but will aids in having no lippage.

Also, i have a 100mm step down into my lounge room. What should i do on the edge there? I was originally going to put some caesarstone strip about 150mm along it (3m length) but am now thinking just to bring the tile right to the edge. Any thought? Dont really want to put an angle strip thing there as it would look crummy

Ive got plenty more questions but this will do for now
Thanks

T

tek_01

Im from australia so unsure if you guys will know the brands but anyhow ill state what they are

Floor is 19mm hardwood t&g (prob 50 yrs old). The underlay is james hardie Ceramic tile underlay
The glue im using is going to be a 2 part flex, most expensive. Davco Tradeflex is the name. Also going to prime the fibro with Davco Ultraprime.

I Know there is going to be bounce but im past the point of tearing up floor boards (and over budget). Do you reall think i will have problems?

T

tek_01

Ok, How much bounce is acceptable? When walking on the floor i havent noticed any bounce but being wooden floors, im sure there is 'some' bounce. Any creaking while walking i have fixed by packing any gaps underneath the joists and also using 100mm batten screws thought joists and bearers.
I could (painstakingly as there is less than 60cm gap) go back under the house and put noggins in between joists but im not sure how this will fix 'up and down' movement? and nailing wont work into this hardwood as the gun shoots them only half way so pre-drilling and screwing is the only way i will get the noggins in.

So basically, how to measure bounce?
Cheers for the replies so far

T

tek_01

Sorry dont know how to edit posts so have to double post. But incase there was a misunderstanding, i have screwed down each floor board to every single joist (where the old nails where) so there are no loose floor boards sitting on joists in case thats where you are talking about bounce??

Im taking about the whole floor moving up/down... which can only be fixed (I think) by either more piers or thicker bearers/joists.

T

tek_01

What would you recommend as adhesive? I have only purchased 1 kit (40kg powder/20L additive) so far so can make a change if need be.

Also in regards to bouncing floors. Id say they are OK. As far i know there is no such thing as a timber floor that doesnt deflect that fraction enough to disrupt the water in a cup.

The step i am thinking of overhanging the top tile enough to make it flush when the bottom tile is in place. Wife is willing to take the gamble on it chipping as she doesnt like any sort of edging... After all she is boss lol

Thanks for the advice so far

T

tek_01

Well im fairly certain it is 'bounce' free, but you will still get vibrations right? unless its a solid slab i dont see how you are not going to

Also think im stick for grout colour :/ tiles are white with a little beige. What colour grout would you go? contrasting in grey or something would look weird wont it on these with small grout lines? and using white will end up yellow after a few months/years. Tile is closer to white than it is to cream

Reply to Tiling my house, need some advice in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
Hi, We're currently adding an en-suite to a downstairs bedroom, everything is going well so far...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.