UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Tiling my house, need some advice in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

tek_01

Thanks for that. Been doing alot of reading on the forum lately and have come across another question

Initially i was going to go 3mm grout line on the floor because it would be easier for the new tiler and probably better, but everyone i have spoke to has said with these tiles you have to use small space ie 1.5mm or else they will look weird. Also the lash system use 1.5mm spacers.

Ive read on here that the standard is 3mm for floors, so why does everyone use 1.5mm?

T

tek_01

Yes, coverage was good and so far its been a few weeks and all is well. Lets hope they last the test of time (and wife/kids dropping stuff)
They look amazing and 0 lippage. Although the floor is not 100% flat (it follows the timbers curve) you cant tell coz there is not lippage
Thanks for the help

Now im onto the next part. The pre-exisiting slab and waterproofed bathroom, so of course here come the questions lol

1) On the slab is it sufficient to use something like bondcrete as it is a steel float finish and than lay a sand cement bed? I was thinking 40mm bed
2) 4:1 mix of sand and cement? also do i use mesh to re-inforce it?
3) On the waterproofing do i have to add anything to the floor before i put the bed down? primer? anything?

also am i ok in laying the bed down, waiting for it to cure than use a tile adhesive on top or should it be done as the beds getting you set them in the bed? Id rather do it the first way as its easier me with regards to time (1 man job most the time)

Thanks

EDIT: Any idea on how much stuff to order? the complete area is 7m x 5m that needs the screed to be done. how would i work this out?

Last edited by a moderator:
T

tek_01

Thanks, i will be going to the house tomorrow, have taken a week off due to father having operation and basically cbf going
So ill get ya some pics

It was acrylic water based i believe. Ill ring the waterproofer to make sure as i had to get a ceritificate for council so couldnt do waterproofing myself

I bought a grinding cup, should i just go over it with that and be done with it? or would i still need some sort of bonding agent?

J

jay

You need to find out what type of waterproofing was used and find out there recommended procedure as not all waterproofing are the same,(take it has been waterproofed before the screed not the way i prefer as the screed will load up with water now )
If you are talking about roughing up the waterproofing with a grinder recommend you think again (please tell me that is not the case)

if your ender is 40mm thick you could use mesh expanding metal is good .

add a bit more to your calculations as it will take more in wet form

Last edited by a moderator:
T

tek_01

Ok got some pics for ya

This is the hallway leading to the rooms, main entrance is on the left
tiles1.jpg

This is from the entrance looking toward the back where the lounge will be (stuff that has to be screeded is the section that is lower)
tiles2.jpg

This is just a room. Havent really cleaned up the grout well enough
tiles3.jpg

Reply to Tiling my house, need some advice in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
Hi, We're currently adding an en-suite to a downstairs bedroom, everything is going well so far...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.