Discuss Tiling Nightmare Mosaic Help..... in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

N

neologic2k

Hi All,

Really appreciate the comments and advice! The fitters left yesterday and have left us with a part tiled bathroom, the standard of which you can see bellow. From the advice I've read from the replay comments, it seems the whole room should have been stripped and re skimmed at the very least.

Should the walls around the bath have been tannked? Or is that just for a wet room?

I asked the fitter directly yesterday about for dabbing directly on to the artex skim and he said it would be fine. Last night afte they left I gently ran screwdriver behind the artex and it can off so easily!!!

The final straw was the state of the window frame, the external brickwork is exposed and need to be sorted, at the very least damp will get through! They were intending to just tile over it!

We went into wicks today and I did loose it a bit as my wife is so upset with the whole thing!! They are sending one of the mangers out tomorrow to come and take a look to see the mess we have been left with so far.

Pictures attached, will keep posting!

Thanks again, Paul

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
N

neologic2k

If the walls are good then 3 dabs then:mad:
feel for you mate honest its painfull to look at ...it should have been skimmed minimum before starting ...really hope you get a good outcome from this mess mate...when you see bits of cardboard being used it never bodes well

Thanks Kev,

Me too! The a annoying thing is if they had said this in the first place we would have said just get it done!

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
Bet you're glad you came here. Fact is, if you hadn't you may not have been any wiser, but hopefully you have stopped these idiots from carrying out any more work for Wickes' customers and that should sit well with you.

It's bad that it has to happen, but it amazes me that they have been contracted by Wickes to carry out this work. I once had to re-tile a kitchen after it had been badly done by B&Q. I think it's luck of the draw really, I've seen a kitchen fitted and tiles by B&Q subbies and it looked really good.

N

neologic2k

Bet you're glad you came here. Fact is, if you hadn't you may not have been any wiser, but hopefully you have stopped these idiots from carrying out any more work for Wickes' customers and that should sit well with you.

It's bad that it has to happen, but it amazes me that they have been contracted by Wickes to carry out this work. I once had to re-tile a kitchen after it had been badly done by B&Q. I think it's luck of the draw really, I've seen a kitchen fitted and tiles by B&Q subbies and it looked really good.

Thanks John,

Yes it was for sure a good move to get some advice from professionals! I would like to add, wickes have been really good this entire time! We had the kitchen done last month and are so pleased with it! The fitters were awesome and employed a proper tiler!

Like you said it's luck of the draw! Wicks are supposed to use an external company to vet fitters, although our situation is bad we caught it in time. It's the other poor people that have had these cowboys fit their bathrooms!!

N

neologic2k

Hi All,

So the plot thickens, we had a wickes out on Sunday afternoon, and the fitter out first thing this morning at which point I ran though all of the useful information I've been given on here and asked why the walls weren't preped, why the titles were being spot pointed and also pointed out why the mosaics were being squashed by the tiles above as they were not giving them time to dry!

Long and sort, I told them to rip it all out and start again preparing the walls this time! The excuse was we were train to save you money! At which point I said, just do the job right! If some crops up then tell me and we can discuss!!

They have now removed all traces of the artex, unibonded the wall and the wall by the window has been sorted...

Updated pictures attached.

Thank you all for your input!! I'll post a couple of pictures once the job is finished :)

Paul

Attachments

• image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 65
  • image.jpg
    960.8 KB · Views: 59
  • image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 94
  • image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 57
B

bcd-87

Hi All,

So the plot thickens, we had a wickes out on Sunday afternoon, and the fitter out first thing this morning at which point I ran though all of the useful information I've been given on here and asked why the walls weren't preped, why the titles were being spot pointed and also pointed out why the mosaics were being squashed by the tiles above as they were not giving them time to dry!

Long and sort, I told them to rip it all out and start again preparing the walls this time! The excuse was we were train to save you money! At which point I said, just do the job right! If some crops up then tell me and we can discuss!!

They have now removed all traces of the artex, unibonded the wall and the wall by the window has been sorted...

Updated pictures attached.

Thank you all for your input!! I'll post a couple of pictures once the job is finished :)

Paul

Hi Paul

Nice one mate, don't take any BS look forward finished pictures
Errrrrm......
When u say unibonded the wall.......u don't mean PVA do you?

Reply to Tiling Nightmare Mosaic Help..... in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi there - I’m hoping to get some advice. I’m a builder, based in Melbourne, Australia. I’ve...
Replies
Views
Matthew7
M
Hi everyone, With a kitchen renovation, Mrs choose the white mirror quartz floor tiles from a...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am hoping I may be able to get some advice. 2 years ago we had a new kitchen fitted and...
Replies
Views
Morning everyone! We've had PVC wall panels installed in our bathroom, the boss bought glass /...
Replies
Views
Hi I am after some advice and opinion if the quality of our recently installed tiles is of an...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB